Vale Charlie

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:01
ThreadID: 128664 Views:3049 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Sad news, Charlie, our much loved, well-travelled, ‘cat with no ears’ is no more.

At 16 years a healthy geriatric cat deserves a dignified death.

However yesterday afternoon during his afternoon nap at home on our back veranda he was attacked by two wiry-haired terriers and was killed.

These two dogs had squeezed under a closed side gate & climbed up the stairs to attack him.
I was away from home, and Pat could not get the dog to release Charlies throat until our next-door neighbour hit the dog with a rake handle.

Charlie was rushed to the Vet, but with a crushed windpipe, it was too late.

We inherited Charlie five years ago from our daughter in Melbourne who couldn’t take him with her when they moved house.
It took Charlie only a few days to adapt to his new caravanning-life and being required to walk on a lead.
In the five years he had travelled with us in the caravan for over 40,000km.
He attended four Bushtracker Musters, at Quilpie, Tepon Park Herberton, Quorn, Rydal, and just missed Jeparit by a couple of weeks, on our return from W.A.
He had an unusual habit of making friends with dogs, and provided a lot of caravanners with a “cat fix”. He was a very placid cat, too old to chase small birds, and not a thief. You could safely leave fresh meat on the bench & not have to worry about the cat.
In 2009 he had to have his ears removed due to skin cancer, and survived three other episodes with the Vet when he was not expected to live. So maybe he had used up all of his ‘9 lives’.
Charlie will be sadly missed by all that have known him

Neil & Pat

Some photos to remember him by
!MPG:47!!MPG:48!!MPG:49!!MPG:50!
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 05:48

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 05:48
When a pet is truly loved it becomes part of the family, to lose him in those circumstances is very sad. We feel for your loss.
AnswerID: 585650

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 18:59

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 18:59
Hi Neil and Pat
What very sad news.
We too have in the past lost a much loved cat to a dog attack, and know the pain this experience has put you through.
We have been honoured to have been accepted by Charlie during part of our travels, and although our time with him may have been brief, we too will miss him.
Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.
John & Sharyn
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 585651

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 20:12

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 20:12
Sorry to hear the news Neil & Pat, I remember getting a cuddle from her when we visited your home.

We are minding the neighbours little dog while the family are in Brisbane (with Dad seriously ill in hospital) and although we do not have any pets of our own we are becoming very attached to Daisy the Bishon Frise dog spending all day, everyday with us for over a week now.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 585652

Reply By: The Dodgeys - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 07:47

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 07:47
Hi Neil and Pat.

We are new BT Owners and members of this forum.
I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear about the loss of your furry buddy Charlie.

As the owner of 2 x very spoilt Ragdoll cats that also travel with us, I was upset to hear of what has happened. Our oldest furbaby who is 4 now has also been attacked on 3 seperate occasions by dogs that have not been on leads. She on the other hand was! It made me quite angry and sad to read your story.

Although we never got to meet Charlie, I am sure that his memory will live on in all those that did meet him. I am also sure that he brought you both lots of entertainment and love in his own feline way!
And remember he will never be forgotten as "Cats leave pawprints on your heart"

Denise
AnswerID: 585653

Reply By: Boystoy - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:34

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:34
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your kind comments.

As a follow-up, Pat contacted our local council after she had taken Charlie to the Vet. The Council Ranger arrived about ten minutes later then another two Council vehicles as backup arrived to investigate.
Pat was able to give complete details of the attack and of the dogs.
The Council database revealed 9 possible addresses for the dogs.
All will be investigated as our Council takes attacks like these seriously, and heavy fines apply.
I will keep any developments posted.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 585654

Our Sponsors