2013 New Vehicle emission controls may affect van batteries

Submitted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 03:35
ThreadID: 128739 Views:7515 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I found this as an Advertisement on Facebook.

Elite Caravans
Like This Page · 27 March

Beware of New Technology that can flatten your caravan batteries.

Purchased a brand new vehicle lately. New Vehicle Technology recently introduced can affect your Caravans Battery System’s Charging Performance during transit.

The new technology is targeted at reducing pollution from new vehicles and from 2013 vehicle manufacturers must meet even tighter exhaust emission standards.

Car manufacturers have designed the Engine Control Unit (ECU) to interconnect with the alternator and monitor electrical load. The ECU can control important engine functions via the CANbus including injection duration and timing to better control emissions as loads vary. The ECU can even shut off the alternator in certain circumstances, adjust the alternator output voltage, and preload the alternator when the load changes as occurs when you turn on your vehicle air conditioning. These alternators are referred to as ECU Controlled Variable Voltage Alternators.

Here at Elite Caravans we take pride of ensuring our customers don’t get stuck with the ugly prospect of drinking warm beer from their fridge connected to their flattened auxiliary battery. That’s why we are proactive in advising our dealers and customers about the need to install an additional after factory device to ensure the auxiliary battery is 100% charged whilst coping with the fluctuations in voltage.

For more information click here..http://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads/files/aaen_aug-sept_2012.pdf
Redarc web site
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bow & Nan - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:01

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:01
I use a 30amp 12v DCDC charger to solve the problem in the 200 series.
AnswerID: 585857

Follow Up By: grumpyolephartz - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 03:49

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 03:49
Greg, they work as a good disconnect. I use one too, but to 25 amps, but it will pump a good 25 amps until the float voltage is reached.
FollowupID: 855114

Reply By: The Hob - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:17

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:17
My vehicle is not connected to van so should avoid any such problem.

I feel some of the battery overcharging problems are caused by long runs with vehicle connected. I rely just on the solar panels. If things are getting desperate due to prolonged bad weather I pay for a powered site.

I keep the van electrically independent.

Alan
AnswerID: 585858

Our Sponsors