"Nobody loves a fairy when she's forty"

Submitted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 22:48
ThreadID: 128746 Views:3355 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
It may well be that "nobody loves a fairy when she's forty" but it seems that no one loves a Bushtracker when she's nine. We have advertised our 2002 18' BT, which is in excellent condition, on this forum, the BT Forum & Gumtree with minimum response. We have to sell, not due to van age but my age & particularly that of my ticker, my wife claims I am too old although if we can not sell I may manage to talk myself into a reprieve.

Can anyone help with:

1. Is the price too high at $55,000? Any suggestions?

2. Are we advertising in the wrong places? If so any suggestions?

Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spydor - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 23:51

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 23:51
Andy,
You might be scaring people off with the low price. Most of the similar vans on caravan&campingsales are listed around $60k- $70k Good Luck!!
Spydor
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585866

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 04:26

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 04:26
Hi Andy

While your price may be debatable as, just right, or too low, what you have there is a normally very saleable product.
I feel that it is just that we are suffering a bit of uncertainty amongst what would normally have been the potential buyers of a 2nd hand BT, primarily from 2 main fronts, the uncertainty that was rampant in the world economic markets which we Aussies seem to have managed our way through quite well, and the uncertainty amongst these same prospective buyers with the upcoming Federal election and what might impact as part of possible policy changes.
It all comes down to what might happen to affect their retirement financing plans.
When we get past the next election and have some inkling as to which way the Feds might jump, some certainty will likely return to the retiree set and buyers again return to the 2nd hand BT market.
Suggest you sit it out if you can afford to, and I certainly do not recommend you lower your price below where you have set it.
Your asking price should reflect what you personally are happy to accept to part with your pride and joy, and you have obviously thought about that.
I have personally spoken with someone from my town that is very interested in your BT, but they, like a lot of others, have assets that could cover the sale price but are weathering uncertainty as to if this is the right time to commit to such a sale/purchase.
The only other thing I see that could be offered by you that probably should elevate your sale potential, is a prepurchase inspection by BTI. ( Sort of like the inspection you get on a car by the RACQ before your buy that car.)
Things should improve in the foreseeable future, it's just a matter of if you can bear to wait.
Hope this helps in some way.
All the best with your health and plans for the future.
Regards
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 855115

Reply By: braggy - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 02:38

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 02:38
We recently sold at KK,
and got alot of calls from "caravan and camping sales" advert.
and next to none on Tradingpost
Might be worth ago there

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 585867

Follow Up By: Andy1 - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 15:01

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 15:01
Hello Ken

What is KK?

Andy
FollowupID: 855116

Follow Up By: braggy - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 17:19

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 17:19
Sorry Andy Kimberley Karavan
FollowupID: 855117

Reply By: Shortcuts - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 18:44

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 18:44
I was wondering if it would help if you posted some photos of your van inside and out.
AnswerID: 585868

Follow Up By: Andy1 - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:16

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:16
Hello Shortcuts (or any expert),

That seems like a good idea.

Is it possible to edit the ad to include photographs? If so how?

Andy
FollowupID: 855118

Reply By: Spydor - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:13

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:13
Hi Andy,
While my last post was a little "tongue in cheek" I agree with Braggy. advertise it on a caravan specific site like caravan & camping sales. That way only people looking for a van actually access the site. Gumtree tends to sell everything from toothpicks to tractors.
Once again Good Luck
Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585869

Reply By: Jeff&Narelle@Alice - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 19:14

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 19:14
Hi Andy
We sold our 1999 BT in December for $57, including delivery. It took less than a month and we averaged more than 1 enquiry a day. I would suggest that your price is not too high. We advertised in Caravan Trader, Trading Post, Gum Tree, Both BT Forums and Ebay. With ebay we received a few scam sms's from overseas numbers which we ignored. I think that it is important to take good photos with the lights on and post them with your adds. Be prepared to send more photos to anyone enquiring and if you can get a report done on the condition of your BT that might also help. BT do inspection reports if you can get it to them.
Good luck.
Regards
Jeff & Narelle
AnswerID: 585870

Our Sponsors