Planning trip to Dig Tree/Birdsville

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 23:32
ThreadID: 128777 Views:3300 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We are planning a trip in late July early August going from Sydney to Cunnamulla then out to the Burke and Wills Dig Tree, Innamincka. Hopefully up to Birdsville via Cordillo Downs if time constraints permit. If not hubby wants to go from Innamincka down to Lyndhurst via Strezlecki track. I have heard reports that the Strezlecki is not in good shape at the moment. Any infomation from someone who has done it in recent times would be appreciated. Do we need any passes/permits etc. Our van is 21ft and we tow with chevy Silverado. We also carry sat phone. We have not done a lot of outback travel as yet due to work committments accept for last year when we took the van from Lark Quarry down to Jundah then Stonehenge and across to Isisford etc. All advice would be gratefully appreciated.
thanks
Teresa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SMICK - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 02:05

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 02:05
If your out Birdsville way why not come to the BOG Muster in Alice ?
Sorry cant help with current road conditions but when we went through a couple of years ago about that time the roads were OK, no passes or permits required.
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585982

Reply By: B & T with BT - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 08:48

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 08:48
We would love to go to the muster but unfortunately time does not allow for it this year. But we are planning on a longer break next year and the muster is definitely on our agenda then.
Teresa
AnswerID: 585983

Reply By: Uncle Buck - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 20:30

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 20:30
Teresa;
Very interested in the replys to your question as I also intend to come up from Cameron Corner, up the New Strzelecki track to Innaminka, onto the Dig Tree, across to Cordillo Downs road and up to Birdsville, Boulia the across the Donohue / Plenty Hwys to Alice.. This would be in Sept on the way to the muster. Interested if any permits are required. I too have not done much outback travel with the BT in tow. May see you at a future muster.
Scott.
AnswerID: 585984

Reply By: Motley - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 22:13

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 22:13
B&T with BT, no permits required for that itinerary
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 585985

Reply By: Dynamic Duo - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 05:21

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 05:21
Hi guys
we did a trip from Bundaberg(home) across to Innamincka down the Strzelecki track down to Port Victoria for a spot of squid fishing then returned up the Birdsville track then across back home .
a couple of great spots to look out for
Dig tree was a beautiful camp area on the Cooper creek but the road in from the turn off was horrendous at the time
Montacollena bore on the Strzelecki was also a excellent camp area although no facilitys but amazing colours at sunset and sunrise
The best camp area by far was across the road/track at Clayton station on the Birdsville track they have a short tank setup as a hot tub/spa fed from artesian bore imagine a late night spa under the stars
all the roads we travelled were in reasonable condition with lowered tyre pressures no problems but watch the speed as there are some bulldust patches that can catch you out if going a bit quick
enjoy
cheers Kev & Chris
AnswerID: 585986

Our Sponsors