Access to Fruit Bat fall, Eliot falls and Twin falls

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 18:33
ThreadID: 128807 Views:3294 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On our way up to the tip we saw a camper trailer parked near the Old Telegraph Track access to Fruit Bat fall, Eliot Falls and Twin Falls and we plan to visit these falls when we are heading south.

Can anyone tell me please if the track and parking facilities that are there now will allow the Bushtracker to be towed into these falls, or should we also un-hook and leave the van out on the by-pass road?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robbo - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:46

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:46
Brian,

We followed the track into the falls two years ago, the reason we took the van in was based on the information given to us at the quarantine station north of Coen, it appeared that the road in was also the main road ... not true.

You will draw a lot of interested on-lookers if you decide to tow the van in (we had them lined up both sides of the creek), there is a creek crossing some 2 to 3 hundred meters from the turnoff that is a bit scary but after that you can make it to the camp ground but extreme care is required in the camp ground, very narrow with trees.

Leave the van at the by-pass road and drive in.

Steve
AnswerID: 586052

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 04:51

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 04:51
Thanks Robbo,

Have you got any other places where we shoul or should not go with the van in tow?

I looked at the Captain Billy Landing track as we went past and the entry part was well over grown and now big enough for a van.

Brian

FollowupID: 855194

Reply By: Geoff & Vickie - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:06

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:06
Hi Brian in 2010 we camped at Eliot Falls had no trouble at all. We left the van at the camp ground and went back up the Old Telegraph Track and to Fruit bat Falls.

Geoff
AnswerID: 586053

Reply By: JohnS - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:01

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:01
Brian we were up there last year. You could get the van in but it's not worth the effort or risk for a couple of reasons. the creek crossing about 1km in can be have deep wheel ruts, there is quite a few overhanging trees on the track in and lastly the camps are generally too small for a bushy. There is a camp @ the turnoff of the development road. It goes in about 100 metres to the east and you can camp in there
John
AnswerID: 586054

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 19:33

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 19:33
If you go in without your BT, wear your togs and take a towel.
No places there to change in in 2006, might be improved since, but a great spot to flop in the water and refresh. Take your camera.
When we went there we towed our 19ft BT in.
Some idjut had filled the wheel ruts of the exit side of the creek with pea gravel which made grip practicaly impossible and the use of the winch essential.
There are a few double parking bays where a BT & Tug will just fit.
It is not that far in from the main road, probably the best bet is unhook at the turnoff, drive in and assess what is there and then determine if you want to go in.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 586055

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 02:52

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 02:52
Thank you for your replies re the falls. I think I will take the safe option and leave the van out on or near the bypass road.

Has anyone got any other suggestions on where up in the Cape it is OK to take the van into or not to try and take it in?

Brian

AnswerID: 586056

Our Sponsors