water leaking in from air conditioner

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:59
ThreadID: 128811 Views:4148 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
During heaving rain in Sydney this week I checked van yesterday to discover the table was wet and on looking up discovered water dripping from air conditioner. After removing grill and vents we discovered it was coming from under a plate held by two allen head bolts. Wondering if the silicone on the roof as failed. Has anyone else ever had this problem. it is a constant drip so I have had to put a bucket under it. The van is parked on a slight slope leaning forward.
Teresa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sharon&ian - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 17:20

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 17:20
Hi moakie
We had the same thing happen from the skylight over the bed.
The first owners had made a dodgy job fixing the leaks with a poor quality silicone which then failed following a few off road trips.
We ended up removing the entire roof unit, stripping back the original glue, and re gluing in with a product called SIKAFLEX glue which can be bought from any building supply firm. This is supposed to be flexible enough and able to withstand the rough off road travel of the van.
Have not had any problems since.
Ian

AnswerID: 586072

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 15:38

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 15:38
Hi Moakie, I had the exact same problem and discovered the water was coming from the airconditioner, but not through any fault with the sealing between the roof and aircon.
What was happening is the water was bouncing off the roof at just the right angle so as to bounce up between the grille slats in the air conditioner unit.
In other words, it is a design flaw in the Dometic air conditioner.
What I did to overcome this was very simple. I cut a length of aluminium angle cross section about 2 inches high and one inch across. I put some sikaflex or silicon along the bottom edge of the 1 inch section and stuck it to the roof just near the air vents on the Dometic Air conditioner.
From memory it was about 18 inches long. once the glue had gone off, it never ever moved again, and it stopped the water ingress by stopping the rain bouncing up off the roof and into the air con. A very simple fix, but very effective.
Hope this helps with your problem.
Keith & Joan.
AnswerID: 586073

Reply By: Oldperc - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 16:26

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 16:26
Also timely to check the air conditioner roof cover.
It is very thin fibreglass, held on with only 4 screws.
I've noticed hair-line cracks around two of the screws so in time I can see the cover eventually blowing off.
To reduce further vibration, I have added four more screws. The cover now has two screws on each side.
Suggest other might consider the same.
David
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 586074

Our Sponsors