Outboard Storeage

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 04:53
ThreadID: 128843 Views:4364 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Boggers,

My wife retires in October and I am busy changing my van from a batchelors pad used for gold detecting, to a general tourer for two.

I have a 3.75m Dart which I used to carry on the top of a Trak Shak camper. Now I will be taking off the Rhino roof rack basket and fitting a Rhino boat loader.

But where does everybody store their outboards ?

I have seen the FlippinEasy outboard mount for the draw bar and I was wondering what the alternatives are for storing my 15HP Merc.

I am not too keen about having it in the vehicle smelling of fuel (or having to run it dry every time I use it). Nor do I want to have it mounted on the rear bumper bar, as I already have a spare wheel carrier and that is quite enough mucking around when opening the tailgate.

So do I have any options left, or is it draw bar or maybe even roof rack ? Is the Flippin Easy the only draw bar mount ?

Thanks a lot,

Willie.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JohnS - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 14:59

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 14:59
Have a look @ tinnie tosser boat loaders. I have had a look @ all of them and believe they're the pick of them. Re outboard @ present I use a box with rubber lining to hold the outboard in the rear of the car. I run it dry before putting it in and don't have any fuel smell. I have seen mounts between the spare tyre and rock catcher on the van, but think even with a good cover dust ingress would be a problem.
AnswerID: 586159

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 06:00

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 06:00
Thanks for the feedback John.
Willie.
FollowupID: 855246

Reply By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 20:55

Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 20:55
Heya Willie,
Great nooz about your new travel mate, now you won't need digital music for company...

We used a Rhino Boat Loader on our 100 series and we also kept the roof basket or in our case an ECB Twin Tube Roof Rack 1800 x 1200 and positioned it so that the tinnie would load over the top of the rack. It was here that we stored light bulky items like PFD's and other safety gear.

I have seen a boat loader that had an optional frame that fits inside the tinnie between the seats to secure the outboard into and the whole deal then loads on the roof via the loader. I'm not 100% sure but I thought it was the Tinnie Tosser that had that option???

Good luck... and don't forget to pop in for a cuppa when you're going through Armidale....
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 586160

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 06:05

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 06:05
That is interesting about leaving the basket on. I am going down to the Rhino showroom tomorrow to have a look and will ask them about this possibility.

I think the weight of the outboard + the boat on the roof rack, might be a bit much.

The share market is a disaster for me at present.

If we come through Armidale we will stay the night.

Thanks,

Willie.
FollowupID: 855247

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 18:26

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 18:26
Yep, the "Scare" Market is just that here too....just as well we don't rely on it for an income or we'd be sitting on the street corner with a tin cup in hand.

Yes, I agree about the weight and it will add up for sure. Our Yamaha 15 weighs 35 kg and the tinnie is 80kg, (3.75 Sea Jay Angler) so 115kg plus the loader and you'll be on the 150kg limit for a 100 series. However, the 200 series is rated at 200kg on the roof and I have seen some 200 series with a fourth roof bar to spread the load.

Having said that, I'm not sure that I would like 200kg sitting up that high on a vehicle towing a loaded BT. 150kg might be OK as our car has KDSS suspension and we find that it is so much more stable on the road than our 100 series ever was.

Our 200 series is a VX and has the sunroof, so if we were to fit a fourth bar, it would go across the sunroof and impede our view of the underside of airbuses and the like.

When we used to travel with the tinnie and the old 100 series, we carried the Yammie in the back of the wagon and ran it dry before shoving in the back of the wagon. We scored an old bedspread from a motel we were minding and used that to lay the outboard on and then just folded the excess over the top to stop rubbing form other items etc. Definately not a great long term solution by any means, but it got us about while we were travelling between work and play.

I have seen slides fitted behind the cargo door on BT's and maybe you could look at storing your Merc in there which gets it out of the car and so no fuel odour. It would probably mean relocating the items already stored there to the back of the cruiser?? This would also mean that you wouldn't have to be too careful about dust sealing compared to mounting on the drawbar.

Well mate, there's some food for thought...hope it doesn't give you a head spin like it has me??

Yeah, pop in and spend a night and we can have a chat and few drinks and order in some chinese or thai or pizzas...swap a few stories and generally have a bonza time of it. We won't be here from Sept 8th for 6 weeks.... head to Alice for the muster via Cameron Corner and Muloorina Station.
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 855248

Reply By: Uncle Buck - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 02:25

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 02:25
Willie;
Take a look at Post ID8884 in the Owners Forum dated 21 June 13, there is one in a box on the drawbar. Also google Southeast Stainless, who until recently was next door to BTI, and look at their gallery. There are several in boxes on slides and one in a cargo door on a slide from recollection. Their work is good but not cheap. They did a generator box for me last December. I also designed it to carry a Yamaha 2400 on a slide sideways, plus 3x20 L gerry cans plus 2x5 L cans It also has a rack on top to carry firewood as well as an area to carry wood between th box and the intergrated stone deflector.
At the last couple of musters I have seen several mounted on slides in boxes mounted on the drawbar.
Scott.
AnswerID: 586161

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 03:19

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 03:19
Thanks Scott, great info. I will check out Southeast Stainless although I reckon an alloy box would have to be lighter wouldn't it ?
Willie.
FollowupID: 855249

Follow Up By: Uncle Buck - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 09:53

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 09:53
Willie;
All their boxes for BTs are in alloy perfectly matching the checker plate armour on our vans. They do make most of the boxes for BTI for the Honda 2000 generators. They are not stainless although the slide outs are in stainless. They are light but very strong.
Scott.
FollowupID: 855250

Reply By: Beatit - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 06:40

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 06:40
G'day Willie,

A bit late and slow in responding, sorry! I have for a long time carried my outboard in a crate inside the tinnie as suggested by an earlier post. Only recently have I changed that arrangement to the back of my heavily modified tow vehicle. I had a tinnie tosser and had them make a crate to house the motor (15 HP evinrude two stroke). Important it is a two stroke as it gets flipped and i wasn't sure if a 4 stroke with a sump would deal with such treatment well. This arrangement worked well but it was a bit of an effort to set up each time.
Pros
- out of the way
- use available space
- only has to be moved when the boat is used
- low theft risk
Cons
- heavy up top

Kind regards

Theo
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 586162

Follow Up By: Beatit - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 06:54

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 06:54
sorry, i meant to add to MM me if you need any more details
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 855251

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 08:39

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 08:39
Theo,
Thanks for going to the trouble of giving me your info.
Willie.
FollowupID: 855252

Our Sponsors