Securing a Laser Printer in BT or Tow Vehicle... any ideas???

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 22:43
ThreadID: 128850 Views:3184 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any great ideas on how to secure a laser printer in a BT or the tow vehicle.

I have a new "FujiXerox" laser printer... do we "fix/mount/store" it somewhere in the BT or is it better in the tow vehicle?

I am contemplating a "travel box" made from 50 mm thick, fairly high density polystyrene foam with a separate profile of bits to sit "horizontally" in the back seat and seat belted it in. It will envelop the base and 4 sides and have a piece to the profile of the seat to mount on... will allow some movement but provide some security of mounting... (I think!!!)

Any thoughts/experience/pictures/ideas would be greatly appreciated ASAP.

Regards,

Craig and Jan

Alias... Fugly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEG & Capt Norty - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 03:04

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 03:04
Hi Craig & Jan
In our new BT we had an extra pot drawer built in on the side opposite the 'real' pot drawer and stove. I call it my 'office'. The printer, paper, pens, calculator, files etc all fit in snugly, and we have had no problem when travelling, even on rough roads.

Don't know how large your FujiXerox is - maybe too large for pot drawer.

See you in Alice, I hope
MEG
BOG Secretary
Margaret & Norton

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 586181

Follow Up By: Fugly - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:35

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:35
Thanks Meg...

The FujiXerox laser printer is 410W x 389D x 337.5H & weighs 14.95 Kg and obviously needs a "BIG" drawer... LOL!!!

I have spoken to someone (a non BT owner) who mounted their FujiXerox laser in a fabricated box from 50mm thick foam and put it in a cupboard. We don't have the spare cupboard space so I have decided to fabricate a Selleys "Kwik Grip" foam box to sit in the back seat of our LC 200 (or the back cargo area). This will protect it well enough and will seat belt/strap it in for safety.

Laser Paper and other bits and pieces will store in a plastic box and travel on the bed... the laptop travels "tucked under" the quilt and has not moved in our 25000+ km travels.

See you in Alice Springs.

Regards,

Craig (& Jan)

Alias... Fugly
FollowupID: 855272

Reply By: grumpyolephartz - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 08:41

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 08:41
Hi Craig and Jan, we have an wi-fi inkjet/scanner combination in the cupboard under the ensuite basin at the rear. Had tried in a drawer, but better under the bench. It is interesting how well some electronic equipment has worked over thousands of kilometres. The coffee machine for instance has travelled around 30,000 kms I believe.

Amazed how well wine travels in an adjoining cupboard to the printer. Doesn't seem to attract extremes of temperatures for the wine at least. Not so much bounce for wine bottles either.

AnswerID: 586182

Follow Up By: Fugly - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:43

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:43
Hi John & Heather,

See the response to MEG's answer first of all, re the printer... as for the coffee machine... Jan's has travelled a similar distance so far and done well... Can't stand coffee myself!!!!

As for the wine... same thing for me, but Jan's have also travelled well placed in numerous cupboards.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Craig (& Jan)

Alias... Fugly
FollowupID: 855273

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 03:26

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 03:26
We store our inkjet printer under the bed and have had no problems. On this trip we have the coffee machine with us and while travelling that just sits on the long shoe step beside the bed with the computers in a bag behind it so that it doesn't slide.
We have recently travelled up to the Cape and now in Normanton and no problems with coffee machine either after travelling all those rough roads.

I believe that the smoothest part of the caravan ride will be in from of the axles so if you store it in that area it should be OK.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 586183

Reply By: Fugly - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 09:46

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 09:46
Thanks Brian...

Regards,

Craig

Alias... Fugly
AnswerID: 586184

Reply By: surfy53 - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:12

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 20:12
We purchased a $30 Canon Inkjet printer and keep it in the original box under the bed. If it stuffs up we will just chuck it and get a new one, and to replace the inks costs about the same...............so.
Chris.
AnswerID: 586185

Our Sponsors