The quest to find Syd Bayliss’s lost Wagon

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 05:13
ThreadID: 129048 Views:7544 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Following having the pleasure of publicising the opening of the Taubman and Webb Trading Post, someone attending the event not only wrote an excellent report about this opening day, but has been asked by Richard and Leah to try and trace Syd Bayliss’s original wagon.

"The Landy wrote:

Recently I attended the opening of Hancock’s Store at Murringo in the Central West of New South Wales, and you can read a little more about in my blog titled We Can't Let Our Old Bushmen Die (Hancock's Store).

The 150 year old Hancock’s Store has been magnificently restored by Richard Taubman and his partner Leah Coggan and, in part, the store is a tribute to a fine Australian Bushman, Syd Bayliss.

Over the weekend I received a note from Leah asking for assistance in locating the whereabouts of Syd’s Wagonette. Apparently, when Syd returned from Far North Queensland and the Northern Territory he traded it for a larger one in the Riverina District and Leah and Richard are hoping it may still be in someone’s shed.

On the side of it was inscribed “Syd Bayliss Julia Creek Queensland”.

It may be a long-shot, but if anyone has seen or heard of it, Richard and Leah would be grateful to hear from you."

Please contact me (motherhen) at westnet.com.au if you have any news of the wagon, past or present. Together we may piece together the past movements of Syd’s old wagon.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 09:31

Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 09:31
As this trade probably took place in the 1930s, it certainly was a long shot, and as I really expected, there has been no news of Syd's original wagon.

Thanks to those who took the time to read this request,

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 586628

Our Sponsors