Looking for a nice camping spot between Perth & Esperance

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 12, 2013 at 01:36
ThreadID: 129116 Views:6534 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone suggest a nice camping spot, preferably near a beach and free or inexpensive on the coast between Perth and Esperance.
At the moment we are at Leonora. We plan to drive to Perth near to Christmas and pick up our daughter and two grandchildren from Perth airport on boxing day.
We have never been in this part of Australia before. We are from Sydney and usually travel up and down the east coast of Australia.
We would imagine that caravan parks would all be booked out at this time of year. So we wanted to camp somewhere near a beach and where there is good fishing and diving if possible.
Any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushwhackers - Thursday, Dec 12, 2013 at 03:36

Thursday, Dec 12, 2013 at 03:36
Hi,
Anywhere along that coastline is going to be chocka at that time of year so I reckon you'll be hard pressed to get anywhere near the beach for free or cheaply.
You could try Torbay, approx. halfway between Albany and Denmark. The beach is Cosy Corner and is a beautiful spot that time of year. I used to live there when it was less known but haven't been there for many years. The camp is free. It is on WikiCamps so I imagine everyone would know about it.
There is an island at the south end of the bay (can't remember the name of it) that is not far from shore so diving around there would be excellent. Water is very clear and there used to be plenty of abalone. Be aware of rules re abalone as fines are massive for taking out of season.
I see on WikiCamps there is no water but fresh water leaks onto the beaches so if you follow it in you'll come across some. All the water is tannin stained but would be fine for non-potable tanks. We used to drink it, after a boil, for years. There is also some water inland which I can guide you to if you head that way. Also ask at the small hotel as you head down to the beach if it is still there. They may supply you some free or cheaply.
Have a look at YouCamp Australia website. There may be people with property down that way that will take overflow at reasonable rates.
Good luck
Richard
AnswerID: 586851

Reply By: Spydor - Friday, Dec 13, 2013 at 03:27

Friday, Dec 13, 2013 at 03:27
Hi,
BETTYS BEACH, is a good free camp. It is east of Albany. On the map, the road goes to Norman's beach & Bettys beach. Bettys is the pick of the two. Good fishing and diving. Only restrictions are that you can't camp there during the professional salmon season as the beach shacks are used by the fishermen and the area is very busy.
Good Luck
Cheers Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 586852

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Dec 13, 2013 at 10:55

Friday, Dec 13, 2013 at 10:55
Like Richard I think you will find all camping areas packed, and these coastal Shires do not condone camping outside of authorised areas. I have prepared a comprehensive list of camps along the south coast for others, and it is in town by summary here.

My pick on the south coast would be the low cost community managed campground on the bay at Cape Riche, if you can get in.

Not on the beach, but one to hide from the crowds in the holiday season is the Big Valley farmstay at Margaret River.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 586853

Our Sponsors