Air Command Ibis

Submitted: Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 06:30
ThreadID: 129160 Views:2944 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 2007 19' BT which we had wired & framed for aircon at time of manufacture. We now think that an aircon unit may now be of some use in improving comfort levels during some of our future travel plans.

After some research our preferred option is to install an Air Command Ibis for its' low profile, reliability & lower noise levels. The only negative is that a minimum side clearance of 100mm is recommended for optimum airflow for the Ibis. On our van there would only be a 20mm gap between the Ibis & solar panels. Also the Air Command Cormorant is reportedly a little more robust for corrugation work due to its' vertically mounted compressor but I am unsure if this has been tested or not.

We would appreciate any feedback from people who have experience with the Air Command Ibis, particularly those who have travelled extensively in corrugation country. Also any comments about how a Honda 2KVA generator copes with running such a unit would be helpful.

Thanks & have a great day.

Greg & Diane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maney and Toff - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:15

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:15
Hi Greg

BT tell us that Air Command don't provide a warranty for off road use of the Ibis. However, they do for the more powerful Cormorant and that is what BT are now recommending for vans over 20ft (rather than the Dometic). On road vans seem to use the Ibis with great success and its efficiency and low profile make it attractive. But as the Ibis could break over the corrugations, I have gone for the larger Cormorant unit, despite its rather ugly apearance and extra height.

Cheers

John
AKA maney
AnswerID: 587019

Reply By: Maitland Bushies - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 20:09
Hi Greg & Diane

Like you, we had our 1999 18' Bushtracker built with the frame and wiring for AC to be fitted when required.

In 2008 I fitted an Air Command Ibis and it has never given us any trouble.

The original release of the Ibis would not run on a 2kva Honda and Air Command recognised this was a problem and released a new version in 2008 which we purchased. Needless to say it runs on the genny without a problem.

Fitting was easy, just follow the instructions supplied with the unit. I would not be to concerned about the side clearance as the bottom of the side vents is level with the top of the solar panels (I have about 60mm side clearance).

I know things can change but when we purchased the unit nothing was said about no warranty on rough roads (ring Air Command in Adelaide to confirm this) I have seen the inside of the unit and it is very well built with the all the components well supported, unlike the Dometic units which allowed the motor supporting bolts to vibrate out! The outside casing is about 8/10 mm thick and you can walk on it.

We have travelled most of the roughest roads in the country since fitting the Ibis, The GRR including Kalumburu, the Tanami Track, Oodnadatta Track, Katherine to Hells Gate etc, to name a few. The Ibis stood up to all this without a problem.

Hope this helps with your decision.

AnswerID: 587020

Our Sponsors