Has anybody taken their BT to the Vic. High Country ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 21:21
ThreadID: 129171 Views:7975 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
In March I am heading South from Sydney and would like to visit the Victorian High Country.

I am sure that 95% of the tracks cannot be traversed by a van, but amongst all that, I am sure there is a few nice drives that I can manage with the BT.

Has any Bogger taken his van onto any of the tracks down there ?

I am particularly interested in the track from Suggan Buggan to Benambra.

Part of the plan will be to do day trips in the Cruiser from towns like Licola, Benambra, Omeo and Dargo, but I would also like to venture in to a few nice riverfront camping areas with the van and catch a few trout.

Thanks a lot,

Willie.

PS Mine is a smallish 16 footer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobrovin - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 01:02

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 01:02
Hi Willie
Although we have not been on the road from Suggan Buggan to Benambra we have been through Suggan Buggan from Jindabyne along the barry way and that part is ok. (our avatar is a shot from along that road) According to this sitehere the limestone road is a good gravel road suitable for 2WD cars so should be no problem. We turned left a little past there and went down across McKillops bridge to Bonang so cant help with any of the rest
AnswerID: 587048

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 03:05

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 03:05
Very helpful read, thanks a lot.

Sounds like a nice easy trip from Suggan Buggan to Omeo. I am coming up from Lakes Entrance. I have been down the Barry Way in a 4WD and I think you are a brave man for going down there with a big van.

Cheers,

Willie.
FollowupID: 855677

Reply By: Jeff&Narelle@Alice - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 03:42

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 03:42
Hi Willie
We used to do a lot of 4wding in the area north of Licola, lots of challenging 4wd tracks. We would like to go back sometime and take the BT up to the Howitt High Plains. There are camping areas on the Wellington River just north of Licola. If you drive towing the BT on the main dirt roads keep an eye out for logging trucks. I was thinking when we get back down there it might be better to drive up (when towing) at night so that you can see on coming vehicles if any.
Will be interested to read how you got on.
Enjoy.
AnswerID: 587049

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 20:31

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 20:31
I have made a note on my maps and will check it out.
Thanks a lot
Willie AND NARELLE !
FollowupID: 855678

Reply By: surfy53 - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 04:19

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 04:19
In 2012 we took the BT from Lakes Entrance to Jindabyne and camped overnight at Suggan Buggan. The road up to SugBug is twisty and narrow, my wife did not like it at all, I thought it was quite good. Only saw one car on the first day and three on the drive into Jindabyne. Just take your time and enjoy. Just love those type of tracks, not rough at all.
Chris.
AnswerID: 587050

Reply By: Ski Ali - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 08:00

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 08:00
Hello Willie.
Did some drives around the high country in 2009 with the BT. Went down the Monaro highway from Newcastle to Orbost then to Buchan. Went to Suggan Buggan by mistake. Missed the turnoff. Four wheel drive books say anyone who tows anythig down this road is nuts. It is very narrow winding no guard rails, big drop offs, single lane in a lot of places. Someone must back up. Camped at Suggan Buggan. Nice camp area. Toilet only. Small stream at the camp area and old school house. Drove back up hill next day then went via Native Dog Flat to Omeo. Native Dog Flat is a great place to camp. We only stayed for brekky but beautiful place, small stream for trout. We travelled the Bogong High Plains Road, Drove to Licola. Did a day trip to Howitts Hut. Could get the BT up here. Drove to Dargo then up the Dargo High Plains Road to Mt Hotham. This road from Dargo is steep. I was going to Grant but just kept going. Sorry I missed it. All of these roads are OK for BT. just take it easy. It is not called the high country for nothing. All roads wind up the mountains with great views over the side. We went in November and the roads only opened on the 1st November. Could not go to Mt Stirling as the road opens on 1st December. Great trip. Go for it
AnswerID: 587051

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 21:20

Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 21:20
Hello "Ski Ali",
Thanks a lot for that info. I have entered your track on Oziexplorer and will follow in your footsteps.
Cheers,
Willie.
FollowupID: 855679

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 23:36

Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 23:36
Me again Ski Ali,

I have marked the following trips you mentioned :
from Dargo to Hotham,
from Licola to Howitts Hut
from Mt Beauty to the Omeo Hwy on the Bogong High Plains Road

But what route did you take from Omeo to Licola ?

Thanks a lot,

Willie.
FollowupID: 855680

Reply By: surfy53 - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 00:11

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 00:11
Image Could Not Be Found

This photo is taken from a magazine article. The Barry Way in all it's splendor.
This is exactly how I remember it.
Just do it.
Chris.
AnswerID: 587052

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 03:04

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 03:04
Knowing my luck I would meet another van and have to back up for a few hundred metres.

Thanks for the photo Chris.

Willie.
FollowupID: 855681

Reply By: Willie - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 03:06

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 03:06
Thanks for all the answers.

It has given me more of an idea about what I will find, but I think I will have to make most of the decisions after talking to other travellers and locals on the spot.

Cheers,

Willie.
AnswerID: 587053

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 21:20

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 21:20
Pretty much all we ask locals about a road is whether or not they use trucks on it or if there are any hairpins that they cant get around.
They always say that you would not be able to get a van along it, so if you go by what they say we would never go most places.
Over the years we have been stopped many times by people coming the other way and franticly told to turn around as soon as possible because we will never get through. Never do and never have a problem.
Just make up your own mind and practice reversing :)
FollowupID: 855682

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 23:01

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 23:01
I am not good with heights Bob. In fact, just thinking about backing my van along a big drop off, makes my palms sweat. No thanks.
I have no trouble with rough tracks though. I have dragged Elvis though some terrible country.
Willie.
FollowupID: 855683

Reply By: surfy53 - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 20:00

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 20:00
Image Could Not Be Found

This is a still shot of us on the Barry Way. Taken from our ITB100HD Black Box Video mounted behind the rear view mirror.
Chris.
AnswerID: 587054

Reply By: Trish n Phil - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 01:25

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 01:25
Hi Willie

If you are going to have the van in Omeo there is a very nice camping area at Victoria River on the Mt Hotham rd. You can camp beside the river and I have even caught trout in the river around there ( I'm the world worst fisherman).
The Hotham road to Cobungra where the Victoria river turn off is is quite wide and should be no problems for the BT. The camping spot is listed in my Camps 4 book as camp 123. I have not taken my BT there but have taken my camper trailer in there a few years ago. The whole area is good for having an explore around and if you follow the Victoria River rd to the end (without van) there are remains of an old power station / crushing battery on the Victoria river. Lots of old gold mines and water races in the area. I still am a member of a ski lodge at Mt Hotham (started building it in 1969) so I know the area quite well.

Regards
Phil
AnswerID: 587055

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 17:17

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 17:17
Great info Phil. I will camp there for sure. I love those old gold mining areas and I love trout fishing, so it sounds perfect.
Thanks - much appreciated,
Willie.
FollowupID: 855684

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:45

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:45
I have asked the question on Exploroz and there have been a few answers.

One guy says he and friend took their vans into Talbotville and had a great campsite and an excellent base where they could unhitch and explore the surrounding country.
AnswerID: 587056

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:50

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:50
Correction - they both had campers.
FollowupID: 855685

Reply By: Flavs - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 05:14

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 05:14
Hi Willie,
There are to many areas in the high plains to mention where you can go.
Check with the locals and drive with care.

Trout fishing is excellent in the Mitta Mitta River and the Snowy to mention two. The pondage below Dartmouth is also worth a go as is the Dartmouth Dam itself.

We have camped on the Mitta for 25 years at Easter (though not the last 2 as we were in WA prospecting). We will be back for a couple of weeks at Easter this year. The Mitta Valley is one of the best valleys in Vic and the trout fishing is terrific.

One year we took the long way to Mitta Mitta from Wodonga. From Wodonga to Mt Hotham, Omeo, to Mitta Mitta. Lots of good camp sites. The Blue Duck Pub for a meal at Swan Reach a short walk from our camp on the creek. The Walnuts (on the Omeo Hwy south of Mitta) is another great camp site.

cheers
Noel
Noel & Denise
Website Manager
Life Member

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 587057

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:22

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:22
Thanks Noel,
I will definitely camp on the Mitta Mitta for few days.
Willie.
FollowupID: 855686

Reply By: Ski Ali - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 07:37

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 07:37
Helllo Willie. Sorry for the late reply. I only put snippets of our trip in my last reply. A good book to check the tracks in this area is "The High Country 4WD and camping Guide" by Lewis and Savage. We left Newcastle and drove down the Monaro Highway to Cann River then on to Buchan and /suggan Buggan. Replaced our tracks and went down the Benambra Road to Benambra then Omeo. Left Omeo on the Omeo Hway and turned up the Bogong High Plains Road to Mount Beauty then Bright. Went to Myrtleford Whitfield then Mansfield. Did day trips to Craigs Hut while here. We were going to drive to Licola over the mountains bur the road was closed due to snow. Did not believe it but decided against it anyway and drove to Locola the long way on the tar via Healsville, Moe, Heyfield then Licola. We did a day trip up the mountain to Howitts Hut. Could get the BT up here. Drove to Sale where we spent time with friends. Don't miss a trip to Walhalla. (old gold mining town). Then to Dargo. Road out of Dargo is very steep. We missed going to Grant but was told BT could get there. Followed Dargo High Plains Road to Mt Hotham Road. Follewed to Mt Hotham, them Omeo again. Drove Benambra/Corryong Road to Coryong. There are magnificent camping areas along this road beside the creek. Nariel is a great spot.Did day trips from Coryong to Khancoban, Geehi Huts, Keebles hut, Major Clewes Hut. Tried fishing in the creek. Caught nothing. From Coryong drov to Cabrmurra then on to Canberra and home. Magnificent trip. All roads wind up hills. As I said earlier, it is not called the high country for nothing.
Sorry if this is long winded. Take your time and do lots of day trips
Col
AnswerID: 587058

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:27

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:27
G'day Col,

Thanks very much for the information.

I have ordered a High Country Map and the Hemma High Country Atlas and will have a look at the places you recommend when I get them.

When I get back from the trip, I will make a post about the places I was able to access.

Cheers,

Willie
FollowupID: 855687

Our Sponsors