Alternatives to a motorbike as a second vehicle

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 21:34
ThreadID: 129181 Views:2165 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We're going to upgrade our tug from our trusty LC100 to something bigger - F250, Ram, etc. This means there will be places offroad where our big ute can't go - or maybe can't go, such that we want to have a look first to check. If we want to be able to explore side roads, mountain tracks to see if they're passable etc, we probably want something road-legal.

We can carry a small dirt bike, either on the truck or the van, but Lana's not all that keen on riding pillion on a dirt bike, or becoming a rider in her own right. Loading a bike into the truck would be a hassle. There are solutions but they're more weight/space.

I'm wondering what other solutions members have come up with?

Options seem to include:
- A very very small car: An effie could just about carry a smartcar but with not much room or GVM left over. Probably have to go 350.
- Motorised bicycles: Nice and light but not much good for 20-30km side trips or on sandy tracks.
- Straight mountain bikes. Hard work for anything but short trips. No good in sand.
- Quad bike: Not registerable in WA I think.
- Some form of side by side ATV: ditto not registrable?
- A very old (ie. small, light) Suzuki Sierra, stripped for minimum weight.

What have you used and what were your experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 01:47

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 01:47
What about a 'Postie Bike' ex postal service. A lot of prospectors use them.

John
AnswerID: 587080

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 03:48

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 03:48
Matt,
There are very few places that a Landcruiser can go that the F250 or Chevy couldn't.
So if the Landcruiser got you where you wanted to why do you need an extra vehicle?
Even if you had another vehicle such as a motorcycle, how often would you need to use it and would it be worth all the trouble to car it around for it to be used occasionally?

I had an F250 for 11 years and never required any other vehicle to get somewhere.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 587081

Follow Up By: MattandLana - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 19:55

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 19:55
Thanks Brian, that's reassuring. It's helpful to hear from folk who have actually done it. Maybe it's partly in the mind, just because these big utes look and feel so big compared with our 'little' LC100. In fact I'll start a new thread on this very topic and see what comes of it.
FollowupID: 855701

Our Sponsors