Water tank capacity

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 18:58
ThreadID: 129199 Views:8865 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Just fitted two flow sensors (http://www.futurlec.com/Flow_Sensor.shtml),

They work a treat, count down so you know exactly how much water is left in the tank, and a one button reset for when you change to next tank.
Easy to work out what your daily useage is.

A batch has been imported direct from the manufacturer, and he wanted feed back as to suitability/accuracy for the RV market.

So filled nonpotable tank, and emptied and measured, meter read 85lts, actually measured 83lts, next tank meter 83lts,measured 81lts.

Filled potable tank, meter (different meter) 83lt, actual 81lts.

Not an issue with the meter, just set it at 80lts and the alarm beeps with 5 lts left.

Tilted the van and drained the rest of the tank, it had 2lts left not picked up.
So at best 85lt capacity.
So they don't fill completely, have noticed that the overflow hose does run for abit after full and maybe it is getting an air lock in the top of the tank, or they are not 90lt tanks

Has anybody else ever checked.

Cheers Ken

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 03:33

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 03:33
I have always worked off about 3.5 days for usual average usage - based on getting on for nine years on the road.

At least this gear sounds accurate unlike the standard level indication meters sold for the RV industry

Cheers John and Jean
AnswerID: 587124

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 08:22

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 08:22
Hi Ken,

I used to reckon I lost a fair bit of water out of the overflow pipes as I drove along, so I had taps fitted to them.

Now I have solved the problem, but have to remember to open the tap when using or refilling.

Willie.
AnswerID: 587125

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 21:51

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 21:51
Hi Ken
Regarding your comment "So they don't fill completely, have noticed that the overflow hose does run for abit after full and maybe it is getting an air lock in the top of the tank, or they are not 90lt tanks".
Suggest you check if your overflow pipes are pointing down in their fixed position.
If so there will be a syphon effect until the level in the tank reaches the level of the end of the overflow pipe if there is excess oveflow pipe within the tank. We had this very problem from new (2000 model).
My fix was to rerout the overflow pipes, using zip-ties and saddle clamps to secure them, with the outlet of the overflow pipes at the level of the top of the tanks.
Instead of having a circular loop to provide a water/dust seal (as it was ex factory) I re-routed the pipes to provide a "U" and then saddle clamped the excess pipe to the underside of the floor, bringing the end of the pipes to near the outside edge of the BT. This also provides a more visual display of when each tank is full.
When filling we now lose about 1 litre of water from the moment the taps in the van are turned over to change tanks to the time when that tank's overfow stops running and that is I believe attributable to expansion of the tank contracting after filling through the "A" frame inlet from the town supply.
The other potential cause of underfilling that I am aware of is, the actual location of the inlet end of the overflow hose within a tank, in combination with a low outlet from the overflow pipe.
I had cause to reseal the top of one of my tanks where the overflow enters the tank.( I had found the overflow pipe was loose where it enters the tank).
This required the removal of the tank from under the BT, and I discovered that there was an excessive amount of overflow hose within the tank (about 3"or so from memory).
My fix on this was to position the inlet of the overflow hose just within the top of the tank after the liberal application of sealant (nothing sticks to the old style black tanks) and secure the overflow hose in place with a copper saddle using stainless steel self tappers into the tank, and placed an additional self tapper through the top of the saddle clamp and into the overflow pipe to secure it from movement.
Hope this helps
Regards
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 587126

Reply By: braggy - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 03:45

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 03:45
Hi dodgey

They cann't siphon now,the vent hoses go up over the spare.

But I think it could be the same as yours was,
the vent hose may be too far into the tank and causing an air lock in the top of the tank.
Something else to look at

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 587127

Reply By: David Isaac - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 02:31

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 02:31
Hi folks, I am having trouble filling tank no 3, no 4 if you count the potable tank. In any case it is the rear most tank. I used to wonder why it always seemed to run out of water quicker than the other tanks. Then I noticed that the overflow wasnt actually working and it was feeding back through the filler so I thought it was full. So one time when filling it I got under the van and blew back through the overflow pipe which then displodged something and I promptly got covered in water which freely flowed out of the overflow. After that fill the tank lasted as long as the others. Now when I try and fill this tank I have to set the fill rate slow or it comes back up the filler pipe and now no matter what I do, even blowing through the overflow I cannot fill this tank to overflow. Any pointers would be appreciated.
AnswerID: 587128

Our Sponsors