A useful Emergency calling App is now available

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 07:07
ThreadID: 129214 Views:2930 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Last week on our local WIN TV news program they did a story on a new APP that is available for use with Smart Phones.

It is called ********* Emergency + ***********

Once you have downloaded this App you will be asked to authorise the Emergency Services 000 service to access the GPS details from your phone.

With this APP even if you do not know the actual location of where you are, for example if you were walking in a National Park and came across an injured person requiring an ambulance it would probably be difficult to direct the emergency services to your location.
But by making the call to 000 via this APP the 000 Emergency Call Centre operator would receive your exact GPS location from your mobile phone and have a map showing where you are calling from.

Last week a woman with her 2 year old grandchild was driving along the Bruce Hwy near Nambour was overtaken by a truck around midnight and the next thing she can remember was being hanging upside down by her seatbelt and trapped in her car.
She didn't have this APP and just rang 000 the normal way.
They new it was a genuine call because of the child screaming in the background and The 3 emergency services dispatched a total of 10 emergency vehicles over a period to try and locate her.
As one of the last vehicles was arriving to help search the section of road the woman told the operator that she could hear a siren. They then narrowed the search area down to where that vehicle used the siren and a fireman found some grass that had been pushed down. After investigation he found her vehicle in a ditch well off the road and trapped in the car. It took over an hour to locate her before the rescue could take place.

I think that this APP should be a MUST HAVE for all of us who have a SMART PHONE.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 2 Jays - Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 21:57

Friday, Feb 28, 2014 at 21:57
Thanks Brian - great idea and I've just downloaded it.
Hopefully, that will mean I never need it.

Jeff
AnswerID: 587157

Reply By: Emu 65 - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 00:54

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 00:54
Also downloaded it Brian - Thanks - It looks great!

Cheers

Paul
AnswerID: 587158

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 01:01

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 01:01
Not so good if you are out of mobile coverage though...... then you just die quietly!

john
AnswerID: 587159

Our Sponsors