Portable washing machines

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 18:59
ThreadID: 129238 Views:8296 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All
I am looking at purchasing a washing machine to take on our travels which will be carried in the back of our tow vehicle - a utility with alloy canopy so machine needs to be reasonably light to lift in and out. I have tried researching the various makes and while there seems to be a lot of information on the two top loaders Lemair and Sphere, both for and against, I have not found a lot on the small twin tubs. Also with all the research I have done, I have not found a lot about the capabilities of the various machines i.e. will they wash two towels +???? or one bed sheet + ???? or are they very limited in their capacity. I see the small twin tubs have various capacity some 2kg wash with 1kg spin up to 3.5kg wash and 2.5kg spin on what I think is the Mini Dolphin. I would appreciate any feed back from those that have first-hand experience of the machines I have mentioned or of any others that might suit.
Cheers
Harry and Jan
The windscreen is a Travelling Picture Show

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Toyman - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 20:29

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 20:29
We used one similar to these for several years.
Nice and light and only uses about 160W, so easily run off the Inverter.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMPACT-PORTABLE-MINI-WASHING-MACHINE-TWIN-TUB-w-SPIN-DRY-CARAVAN-CAMPING-HOME-/111188070974?pt=AU_WashersDryers&hash=item19e353523e

Cheers
John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 587215

Follow Up By: Harry & Jan - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 23:05

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 23:05
Hello John
Yes that is the one with 3.5kg wash and 2.5kg spin. I thought it looked a bit better than the smaller 2kg wash and 1kg spin also available, but the wife wants to know about how much of a wash load it will realistically handle.
Cheers Harry.

FollowupID: 855742

Follow Up By: Toyman - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 04:38

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 04:38
Will take one large sheet OK. or a Towel and some smalls.
They are very economical water wise and the Spin Drier is great.
Cheers
John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 855743

Reply By: Harry & Jan - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 04:46

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 04:46
Thanks John,
That's the sort of info Jan is looking for.
Cheers Harry.

AnswerID: 587216

Follow Up By: Harry & Jan - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 00:59

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 00:59
Any more washing machine users out there.
Cheers Harry.

FollowupID: 855744

Reply By: The Tower Trackers - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 01:15

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 01:15
Hi Harry & Jan

Log onto ebay and type in - portable 5kg twin tub washing machines - there will be a lot of the same come up - white with a pink lid.
We bought one about 4 or 5 years ago and carry it in the back of our vehicle and it is light and a really good size to handle
Run it off our 1KVA HONDA no problems and despite its looks it has really lasted - I ended up getting ours for about $64 - freight free.

It will handle a couple of bath sheets and spin them out no problems at all.

For the price I figured if it lasted us a couple of years it would still be cheaper than the cost of washing in parks etc - however it has lasted and its brand name is a Wasser - would not hesitate to purchase another one if this one dies.

Good luck with your search

Kind Regards

Margaret
AnswerID: 587217

Follow Up By: Harry & Jan - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 01:24

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 01:24
Thanks for that Margaret all information appreciated.

Kind Regards

Harry and Jan.

FollowupID: 855745

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 08:06

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 08:06
Hi, we,rather Roslyn has had the Companion" twin tub for several years now and is very happy with it.
She is sure it washes better than any commercial machine,(I do my own diesel Cruiser oil changes) and recycling water is easy. The spinner works real well with minimum time in the ensuite webasto drying cupboard if necessary.
And it fits upright under the yacht bed.
AnswerID: 587218

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 03:49

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 03:49
Hi Harry and Jan

Although not a washing machine user in the caravan, I have made a comparison between different types.Washing Machines for Caravans. For weight and versatility I would choose a portable one with spinner as you are doing if I wanted to take a washing machine. There are several options I have linked, and more of the same can be found on other eBay stores and on line sellers by a search.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 587219

Follow Up By: Harry & Jan - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 05:16

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 05:16
Hello All,
We have purchased a small twin tub 3.5kg wash and 2.5kg spin. It is a Mini Dolphin. I have taken it up to get it's place in the back of the ute canopy organised. It looks a good size and seems as if it will do the job. Thanks to all who have responded.

Best regards
Harry and Jan

FollowupID: 855746

Our Sponsors