I phone cradles

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 08:15
ThreadID: 129242 Views:6577 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have just made another technologic advance and got an I phone 5
(faithful blue tic died after only 5 years)
Trouble it we can no longer plug it into our 9db arial on the Troopy for better reception "way out there"
WE're told to use a cradle which will improve reception but not as good as the plug in.
Thing is cradles come from $60 to $180
Does anyone have any real life experience with these things?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushwhackers - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 18:31

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 18:31
Hi Spirit Gypsies,

We have a phone cradle that we picked up from a Telstra Shop. Have only used it once when camping out at Inskip Point for a month.
It did give better reception, one bar if I remember correctly, it was the difference between taking/making a call in the van or walking down to the beach. I don't think it would be very good when 'way out there' but is beneficial on the fringes of reception. Sat phone might be the go there!
That's our limited experience.

Cheers
Richard
AnswerID: 587227

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 22:06

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 22:06
We have a portable antenna with a magnetic base with a 5m lead. It does both internet and phone with the right patch lead. It originally bought for the old blue tick phone and stick modem. It now runs the 4G Advanced modem but our current blackberry phone has no antenna port.

I very dodgy reception area I have been not to hoist it 5m up a tree!

John and Jean
AnswerID: 587228

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 03:50

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 03:50
I like my smart phone for its uses but when camped up for a length of time in a low signal area I swap the SIM card into an old ZTE blue tick phone that accepts a patch lead. At Ningaloo for example I use a fibre glass wind surfing pole to attach a 9db aerial to get reasonable internet coverage.

AnswerID: 587229

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 04:56

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 04:56
Have a look at this one.

http://www.thfcomms.com.au/iPhone-cradle.html

It charges the iPhone and the external antenna cable has a standard joiner fitting that connects to your antenna.
The signal passes to the phone by having a metalic antenna paid in a possition so that when the iPhone is in the cradle it matches up with the phone antenna. There is NO direct wiring between phone and cradle.
I had an iPhone 4 and it worked good with an increase of about 2 bars.

When I bought the iPhone 5 I bought a new cradle and it was working well when I had the F250 up in the Gulf and NT where our friends with a Samsung and external antenna was travelling with us. When we compared the 2 phones the iPhone was always getting a signal and and SMS messages before the Samsung.

Unfortunately the cable size from the device to the antenna coupling is smaller than the standard size and I damaged the wire going into the coupling and the antenna no only works occassionally. Because of the wire size Daniel was not able to change it so it look like I will have to purchase another unit.

It does work with the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 but for some reason my wife's iPhone5S will NOT charge when placed into the cradle. So if you have an iPhone5S you would have to ask questions from the supplier.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 587230

Our Sponsors