load levelers

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 18:40
ThreadID: 129276 Views:3162 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we have a Hitchmaster DO35 hitch on our Bushtracker with a Hayman Reece tow hitch however the load levelers do not clear the bottom of the front of the A frame.Any suggestions as to a remedy.hitch master does not supply a high lift ball pin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: c u in oz - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 06:37

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 06:37
We experienced the same issue.

At this point in time my solution was to place the tow coupling on top of the A frame plate, (was previously bolted to the underside). And the spare thread on the tow pin section I packed with a spacer washer till there was nil thread to spare.

I now have clearance for the load levelling bars to travel under the A frame, just.

I no longer put extra pressure on the load levelling bars. They are put in place with hand pressure only.

We travelled for a while without the load levelling bars till I came up with the above solution. The ride with the load levelling bars back on, feels more comfortable and definitely safer.

It would be nice to hear of other thoughts / ideas for a solution.

Good luck.
Steve
AnswerID: 587327

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 06:51

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 06:51
Hi Steve
Locating the hitch onto the top of the plate would make the problem worse, giving LESS clearence.
Packing the tow pin is also not a recomended practice unless it is done with a single spacer with minimal hole clearance and is WELDED to the hitch. Otherwise you are putting the pin under a greater shear force than it is designed for and risk breaking it.
FollowupID: 855796

Reply By: Silver and Tinks - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:07

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:07
Hi Basil

If you change the angle of the pin, tilled backwards by adjusting the hayman reese setup, you will gain more clearance for the sway bars.

Regards

Scott
AnswerID: 587328

Reply By: c u in oz - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 21:51
Good point Bob. Basil please disregards my suggestion about relocating the tow hitch. Brain fade on my part. Sorry. Thank you Bob.

To clarify what issues I’ve (we’ve) experienced. We had a suspension upgrade on the cruiser which subsequently altered the ride height of the BT making the front higher than the rear.

Relocating the tow coupling from under the A frame plate to the top brought the front of the BT to a more satisfactory height. This then caused the load levelling bars to come into contact with the chassis when turning.
My solution for this issue was to raise the tow pin.

Hopefully I can get one tick here? My packer was 10 mm thick steel plate with a tight hole and I left a full thread for the tightening nut. Over to you Bob. How did I go? Your comments are appreciated! I owe you one beer to date.

I already have a 220 mm drop hitch and loath to go even longer. My thoughts being – I feel that there is enough strain on the bend in the drop hitch without adding more leverage on that location with even a longer drop hitch.

Scott makes a pertinent point. I have also changed the angle of the tow pin which has helped. I’m not sure of any ramifications that may be incurred by this?

Great topic guys.
Steve
AnswerID: 587329

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 01:13

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 01:13
Image Could Not Be Found

:)
FollowupID: 855797

Our Sponsors