Any suggestions on best battery for car?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 01:02
ThreadID: 129343 Views:2992 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone, it looks like the battery in our 200 series TD Landcruiser wants to retire!
So, before we get stuck in an inconvenient place we want to replace it.
Could any of you knowledgeable people suggest a good quality battery please?
Thanks,
Pam and Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les & Pamela - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 06:53

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 06:53
I've put two Sonnenschein SL80 80Ah gel bettery in our Troopy. The average life seems to be 9-10 years. They cost about 30% more than others, but I know a mechanic who had one for 12 years. I must say that I have Sonnenschein gels in our caravan too. They're ideal for solar use, and they're still made in Germany.
AnswerID: 587527

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 00:27

Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 00:27
Be careful with gel batteries under the bonnet. They do not like high temperatures!
We had one under the bonnet in our 100 series Tojo as an auxiliary for the Engel frig.
It failed in Kununurra, & the gasses it produced smelt like a rotten swamp.

For TOJO, I have used local Century batteries with the 2-year warranty. The first set failed in 1 year 11 months & were replaced under warranty. This replacement set are now in their fourth year.
Good luck!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 587528

Reply By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 17:15

Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 17:15
Yes, I echo Neil's warning about gel batteries under the bonnet, I had one as the aux battery in one of our previous 100 series cruisers and the case swelled and was developing cracks in the case. Don't know what sort of a mess that would have created under the bonnet.
We use Century 100ah batteries in the BT and they are 5 years old and still performing well.
Can't help with the batteries in our 200 as we have the original Toyota batteries in there still and it was purchased new in September 2012. I split the OEM batteries with a Redarc 200 amp isolator and one battery does the starting and the other runs the Engel etc. Still going strong.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 587529

Our Sponsors