truline moulding

Submitted: Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 03:17
ThreadID: 129354 Views:4225 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone.

I have a persistent and annoying leak (is there any other sort!) that has defied identification. Long story short, the leak has plagued me for a while and seemed partially solved by retightening and resealing the truline fixing screws. There was considerable effort in fault finding using a sprinkler which seemed to indicate a roof problem. The rooftop fitting seem fine but I suspect the truline moulding.

My question is, has anyone else had a leak in this area, it seems that for most part the sealer/fixer is faultless except in the area above the shower. And if there has been a problem what's the best fix? Taking the moulding off completely looks ugly and potentially unnecessary.

All help appreciated.

Kind regards

Theo
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 06:13

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 06:13
Usually a leak in that area involves loose screws in the truline moulding, removing the screws and dipping the pointy bit into a tube of sikafix and re-inserting them solves the problem. You should also check the sheeting where it joins the moulding, if someone has been heavy handed or stood on the edge area of the roof, the sheet could have come unsealed.

Other than that it's a matter of checking the complete roof, try lowering the jockey wheel to get the water flow away from suspected area, if nothing stands out you may need to play with levels and the garden hose again.

Where about Is the water entering the van? A pinhole in the silastic around a window is enough to allow water to enter, same goes for the side rubber bumper strip, there are screws behind the moulding, also make sure the extreme ends of the strip are sealed.

Good luck
AnswerID: 587550

Follow Up By: Beatit - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 07:21

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 07:21
Thanks Mick,

It's hard to know exactly where it is entering and as I got the van second hand I can't vouch for NO roof standing. It seems that there might be something in this as the roof area directly above the shower seems to have a slight dip (as evidenced by pooling water).

Planning for a closer look tomorrow but I would not be surprised if the sealant has been broken away from the sheeting as you suggest. That leads me to how is that best fixed? Any ideas?

Kind regards

Theo
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 855916

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 09:49

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 09:49
Well I wouldn't go and remove the edging strip itself just yet, If you have re-sealed the screws I'd try removing any old sikafix from along the edge, you will see if the edge isn't sealed sufficiently by slightly pushing down on the panel, then just get it' clean and dry and run a bead of sikafix along it, smoothing with a wet finger.

If it's an older van and weathered in the elements both sides are probably due for re-sealing properly.

A roll of 3M aluminium tape is handy for sealing in emergencies, super adhesive and can be shaped & smoothed over where required.
FollowupID: 855917

Reply By: Beatit - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 17:30

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 17:30
Thanks Mick,

Appreciate the feedback! Total removal would be my last resort and not something I would look forward too!

Will be up there looking today.

Kind regards

Theo
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 587551

Reply By: G & J - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 18:58

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 18:58
There is a thread on this on the BT Forum where, if the screw has worked loose, Steve also recommends considering going up one screw size as well as using a sealing product.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 587552

Follow Up By: Beatit - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 19:44
Thanks Geoff,

I have done this previously and will check this first.

Kind regards
Theo
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 855918

Reply By: Mumbles & Mur - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 23:57

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 23:57
Hi Theo,
I had a leak in the same area. Used to enter shower/ toilet recess through light and around skylight/vent fitting.
I resealed all along truline, screws around vent, the radio ariel that was fitted in that location and even the join in the roof paneling. But to no avail.
The vent seal was a suspect from the start but had had no obvious sealant breakdown, but in desperation I eventually dug it all out and resealed it.
No leak source was found, and that was about 3 years ago and I have not had any water ingress since.
Cheers
Ken
AnswerID: 587553

Follow Up By: Beatit - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 03:14

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 03:14
Thanks Ken,

It is frustrating for sure and it has me scratching my head. It all looks ok uo there but there is a leak.

The one thing I noticed today is that there is a crusty mould growing on all the sikiflex and I started to wonder if it has grown in a manner to break the seal.

I will have a good look again tomorrow (what happened to today!)

Thank you all for you input.

Kind regards

Theo
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 855919

Our Sponsors