Sat TV

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 20:51
ThreadID: 129371 Views:24251 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have an unusual problem! I have an auto Oyster dish system going into a vast decoder which loses the signal when we use the water taps which run on Flojet pumps (2- either will do it!). Occasionally it will also happen when we fire up the gas stove igniter. To reset I find that I have to lower the dish & then raise it again.
Can anybody suggest a cause/remedy? This is quite a serious problem as my partner and I nearly come to blows when she needs a shower & I need to watch the Lions!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Toyman - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 03:20

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 03:20
Join the Club. I posted the same problem about 2 Yrs ago.
It was suggested it is probably caused by a Voltage spike.
No satisfactory answer from Oyster or SIM or Vast as to a fix.

John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 587590

Reply By: surfy53 - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 05:03

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 05:03
We have the same setup, oyster with the 12 volt vast. Sorry guys, no problems like you have.
There has to be a short or interference there somewhere. I would definitely get on to SIM. I have always found them very helpfull. Good luck.
Chris.
AnswerID: 587591

Reply By: JohnS - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 17:28

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 17:28
Having a past electronics background I can offer some advice. You will have to determine whether the interference is being induced into the TV system on the 12 volt line or it is being radiated ie transmitted. Try connecting your tv system to a separate 12 volt supply. If the problem is still there it is more than likely being radiated. If not it is coming down the 12v supply. To determine which unit is being affected start moving components back to the main 12v system and when the fault occurs that is the unit causing the fault. Frankly if 2 of you have experienced the same problem I would find it hard to believe there isn't already a known fix as there would be more than just 2 of you with the fault. So I would be asking the techs @ sim or there is the guys @ Liesuretainment you could try.
AnswerID: 587592

Follow Up By: Toyman - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:10

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 20:10
As I stated above SIM, who I saw at the Alice Muster, would only summise it is caused by interference.We even had the new Software/Firmware update installed by them whilst there to see if that would help.
As it only occurs when using the Pumps or Stove Igniter my past electronic background points me to those three items as the culprits (or the Oyster sat Unit).
Oyster say it is a "one off" which I found to be untrue after doing Internet searches.
There are many Overseas Motorhomes experiencing similar problems, unfortunately found no cures.
One suggestion was to use a Buck Voltage Regulator on the Input to the Oyster Satellite unit. I will try this when we get home later this year.Problem will be is that cure will only work if it is voltage spikes effecting the supply.If radiated then that will be more difficult.
My Oyster unit is now 10 Yrs old and I suspect a possible componet problem.
Looks like I might have to replace that.Most of that unit is now redundant anyhow now that Vast has taken over.
John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 855935

Reply By: AroundAustralia - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 21:01

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 21:01
See reply in Owners Forum.....
Wendy & Michael

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 587593

Follow Up By: Les N Sally - Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 04:46

Saturday, Jul 19, 2014 at 04:46
Well seems I may have solved it!
The potable pump stopped working so I replaced with a new one. I couldn't wait to see if that affected TV.....can now report with glee that with normal use TV is perfect....I on/off in quick succession several in succession & made it shut TV down but many normal uses & no problems BUT the other pump will shut TV as before so will order another pump $180 delivered. Sally said that I may have saved a divorce!!...... Cheap!
FollowupID: 855936

Reply By: Les N Sally - Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 08:45

Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 08:45
Putting the Oyster into sleep mode works for me......fantastic!
Copy email from Thomas Kuenzel

Hello Les,
what is happening is that something puts noise or interference into your 12V circuit and this interference causes the Oyster to react. This is much like crackling that you can hear on the radio or stripes etc you can see on the TV. As far as I understand the problem, when the interference is put on the 12V circuit, it causes the skew to move and therefore the signal is lost. I have seen this once when somebody was using a cheap and faulty inverter to power his TV. As soon as he switched on the inverter, the the skew servo went crazy and spun around uncontrolled. When the inverter was switched off, everything was normal. This would be something we would have to check in your particular case. Have somebody watch the LNB and then switch on whatever causes the system to loose the signal.

There are 2 ways of dealing with the problem: Fixing the cause or working around it.

1. Fixing the cause
This would obviously be the right thing to do. Trace whatever is causing the problem and eliminate the cause. While this would be the right thing to do, it might also be the most complicated and costly method.

2. Working around the problem
Here we have a couple of options that we would have to try. Firstly, you can try to put the Oyster into sleep mode. This is done by locating the satellite and then pressing the mute button for about 2 secs or until the receiver "clicks" and you see a "comma" on the sat mouse. The Oyster receiver is now in sleep mode, but the dish is left up. Now try again, if the skew reacts to the interference. If it doesn't, this would be a workaround. For single LNB systems, this would mean that you would have to use an isolation switch, as in sleep mode the Oyster does not boost the signal through the Sat Out. (http://www.satplus.com.au/products/High-Isolation-Switch.html)

Another option would be to try to filter out the noise: You can protect the Oyster with a noise filter (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA3074) This should filter out interferences.

Have a talk yo the boys from Sound in Motion, I am sure they can help with the necessary steps.

Cheers,

Thomas
AnswerID: 587594

Our Sponsors