Fridge placement in new floor plan

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 27, 2014 at 23:48
ThreadID: 129393 Views:2940 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Looking into upgrading our 2007 19ft BT and note that all the modern floor plans have the fridge behind the axles. Concerned there is more movement there than in front of axles so wondered if anyone has noticed increased damage to fridge contents and/or fridge itself compared to older models that have the fridge forward.? Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 04:33

Monday, Jul 28, 2014 at 04:33
Our 2007 19' has the fridge forward of the axles. Last year the fridge doors fell off :-) but I certainly don't believe because of where the fridge is situated, just the bad design of the hinge. Usually the contents in fridge stay where put.

We have noticed on very corrugated tracks things get jumbled about in the cutlery drawer and that is at the rear of the van. I would not like a fridge fitted along the rear.
AnswerID: 587657

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 01:16

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 01:16
Our fridge on a 2005 model is also in front of the axles. never had a problem but we do add some M/T Chateau Cardboard bladders suitable inflated to fill voids in overhead cupboards and fridge etc.. Works well. Just deflate when M/T

The hinge on the fridge eventually wore through the door but was easily fixed thanks to members of this forum.

John and Jean
AnswerID: 587658

Follow Up By: Rod and Deb - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:44

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:44
Cheers for that. The tip on stopping stuff moving around with inflatable goon bladders is the go! Best start drinking chateu cardboard!,!
FollowupID: 855953

Reply By: Gone Bush - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 02:58

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 02:58
Our fridge is behind the axles and we've never noticed any detrimental results from this.

I don't think it's a significant factor.

AnswerID: 587659

Reply By: Rod and Deb - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:45

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 17:45
Thanks. Now to convince husband. I think the open plan area will be spoilt if we try shifting the fridge forward towards the bed.
AnswerID: 587660

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 18:55
Hi Rod & Deb

Our 19ft BT has the fridge mounted at the forward edge and on top of the LHS mudguard.
We have the swingarm for the TV mounted on the bed room side of the fridge bulkhead, and we can watch TV either from the dining area or from the bed, and it doesn't protrude over the sink which is currently readily accessible while the TV is being viewed from the dining area, as it would have created an obstruction if mounted on the fridge sink side bulkhead.
I would not opt for a rearward fridge mount position, as the further rearward the rougher the ride no matter how careful a driver you might be.
The bulkheads on either side of our fridge are full depth of the fridge only to the top of the freezer and then retreat to about cupboard depth to the ceiling height. This allows us to place our printer on top of the freezer, and also have the sat. decoder box mounted there. The printer is not cabled it is blue tooth.

Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 587661

Follow Up By: Rod and Deb - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014 at 20:28
Thanks John. Do you have the separate toilet/shower or just the all in one ensuite? We are thinking of shifting the fridge placement in our proposed new to forward of cafe dining but i fear it will "close off" the interior space.
FollowupID: 855954

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 23:47

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 23:47
Hi Rod & Deb
I have sent you a member message.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 587662

Follow Up By: muddywaters - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 23:58

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 23:58
Hi all,
For what it's worth our fridge is on the RHS just in front of the full width ensuite. The door opens from the left side and and I drilled out one of the blank hinge holes on the opening side, ran a tap through the hole and made up a bolt with a large flat padded washer capable of holding both fridge doors closed. Only ever been met at the door once by the fridge contents,[ not nice and our fault ], that was enough.
Anyway back to the reason for the follow up, our fridge is well behind the axles some 2 feet behind the back of the mudguard and the contents stay fairly well in place even on rough tracks without extra padding.Christine just evens the contents over all the shelves, most of the possible messy things. are in containers anyway.
Mick's right about the cutlery draw shambles.

Regards to all Andrew.
FollowupID: 855955

Reply By: Rod and Deb - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 05:18

Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 05:18
Thanks all for the input. Have decided to go for front door with fridge front of axles which moves cafe dining further back. Should be a compromise I can live with....
AnswerID: 587663

Our Sponsors