Dust Exclusion

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 00:55
ThreadID: 129408 Views:8389 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are setting off for Alice Springs from Beltana soon via the Oodnadatta Track and would like to know what is recommended to keep the dust out of our BT other than blocking the door screen and cooking vent, is it advisable to open a vent to create a vacuum ?

Thank you
Viv & John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SMICK - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:18

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:18
We have never, in 7years of travelling, had any problem with dust whilst traveling.
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 587682

Reply By: braggy - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:41

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:41
We don't have a problem with dust inside either, but did notice a fair amount in back of fridge after a short while, have been putting glad wrap over lower vent, seems to have helped alot,(compressor fridge), will internal vent next improvement.

Did the Oodndatta a few months ago, Farina had a nice big grassy campsite, a real credit to the volunteers, Talc Alf (Lyndhurst) is worth having a chat to if you have an open mind.

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 587683

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 07:06

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 07:06
John & Viv, hi, hope your both well, and blowing a tune ... :-)

I sealed the fridge vents when I internally vented our 1st fridge, also disobeying the rules I taped over the door vent rather than bother with foam .. Don't even bother closing the water proof door,

Those simple changes and our BT has never had dust problems worth worrying about, some owners get dust in the 4 seasons hatch but a lot to do with we're it's situated and the tow vehicle aerodynamics ..

If I know I'm travelling an excessively dusty track I've been known to tape over the battery clamshell vents but it's not something I always bother with, slow travels = less dust ;-)

AnswerID: 587684

Follow Up By: Bow & Nan - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 18:15

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 18:15
Never had a dust problem with the old car and boat. New car and boat and the dust enters through the 4 seasons hatch.

We now block the 4 season hatch with foam.
FollowupID: 855963

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 19:59

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 19:59
A mate had the same issue, previous vehicle a 100 series, no dust in 4seasons, 2nd vehicle a 200 and dust started entering the 4 seasons. Caravan was the same.

I know the new 4 season hatches are made out of plastic and the sealing when the flaps are closed appear to be a better seal ... Perhaps if anyone has the new style can report on what they think of them, ....... same size drop in replacement for the metal version.
FollowupID: 855964

Follow Up By: Bow & Nan - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 21:00

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 21:00
We had hail damage and the 4 seasons hatch was replaced with the new style hatch.

The new style hatch does not seal as good as the old hatch, Camec are going to replace the locks under warranty.
FollowupID: 855965

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 22:18

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 22:18
Interesting Greg , it was a while ago when I looked at the new style, at the time I thought they looked a better design ...
FollowupID: 855966

Follow Up By: muddywaters - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 02:26

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 02:26
Hi Mick,
We will be taping over the battery vents on really dusty roads in future. Checked the batteries the other day and was amazed at the amount of of dust on top of them after the GRR. The only dust to get in the van comes through the 4 seasons hatch,not badly it is just an annoying fiddly amount that needs to be cleaned when we stop. There is a small amount of dust behind the fridge but not enough to be concerned about, It does not get inside.
Regards Andrew
FollowupID: 855967

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 18:01

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 18:01
We are with Smick - never had a problem. We do close the external door in high dust conditions with a foam strip between the two doors.

I certainly would not recommend opening a roof vent to 'pressurise' the van. I think it is a fallacy and would work pretty well doing vacuum impersonations sucking in dust from passing vehicles.

The poor buggers parked next to us at Weipa in their three month old 'dream machine' a 'Grenade' van, spent three hours cleaning dust out after they arrived before hubby started trying to sort out fridge problems Contacted the dealer, who blamed the supplier, who blamed the manufacturer as they reckoned the wiring was undersized.

They left the van there before proceeding north as they did not think it would make it up to the top. I did discover he was running 50 psi in his tyres on the van and he was staggered that I was running just 24 psi.

John and Jean
AnswerID: 587685

Reply By: Bushwhackers - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:16

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:16
As above and we also used a Stone Stomper when doing the Gibb which seemed to keep the dust down and push it out around the van. Good bit of kit that!

Regards
Richard
AnswerID: 587686

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 01:45

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 01:45
Much the same with us, have done the Oodnadatta track, as well as the Gibb & many other roads/tracks & never had an issue with dust. Did try venting the fridge to the inside once for a year or 2 but have gone back to the original external vents as I'm convinced the fridge works better particularly when camped up somewhere.
Still, with all those dusty roads & sometimes "bull dust" that has swallowed up the van to the point where we could just see it in the rear view mirrors, we have not had any problems.
We always travel with our "flood door" shut (no foam over vent), & for quite a while have had an exhaust fan venting to the outside through the top fridge vent which we switch on (if we remember), before travelling a dusty road.
Our vans a 1999 model (an "oldie but a goodie" !!), & very happy with it.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 587687

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 03:03

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 03:03
Hi Tony and Judy,

Good to see a 15 year Bushie still producing the goods with happy owners - another win for Bushtracker.

Cheers John and Jean
FollowupID: 855968

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 04:05

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 04:05
G'day John & Viv,

So you can now send emails from Beltana!

We installed a scupper vent (Marine type) which is open all of the time. It works well. We had previously installed internal venting for the fridge and practiced closing the dust door with a slab of foam over the vent. Also tried a slab of foam in the 4 seasons Hatch. I would try the scupper vent installation first....you may find that the other things are not required.

I've never heard of a Camec door that doesn't let some dust in, but I must say that Bushtracker Vans are certainly more dustproof than any other brand.

Safe travels....are you going via the Painted Desert? The Piderka track to Dalhousie can be pretty bad, so too the Finke to Alice Road, particularly after the Desert Race event.

Rob and Liz

AnswerID: 587688

Reply By: Sawtybt - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 01:26

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 01:26
This thread is from the Caravaners Forum and discusses how to adjust the new hatches.
Adjusting new hatch flaps
AnswerID: 587689

Reply By: The Chair man - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 03:13

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 03:13
Thank you everyone for your advice and re assurance, it's great to belong to such a sharing and supportive Group.

Hope to see you on the road
Viv & John
AnswerID: 587690

Our Sponsors