Replacing your Fly Screens

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 22:20
ThreadID: 129410 Views:10452 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
For those of you contemplating replacing your fly screens, have a peek at this website

http://www.dreampod.net/boroma/dometic_windows.html

Leigh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 02:56

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 02:56
Leigh, That is a very good "How To" complete with photos - I am sure a lot of people will be interested.. Well done on finding it.

We still have the old Camec windows and it takes less than five minutes to whip a screen off for cleaning or replacement. Just as easy to put it on again, plus I have learned the tips for maintenance. We also have all the windows with midge screens - except for the en-suite and the four seasons hatch.

John and Jean
AnswerID: 587697

Follow Up By: Leigh & Mita - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 03:11

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 03:11
Thanks John.

Actually I stumble upon it while trying to find out how the heck to clean all the dead bugs off.

Mita and I have had discussions about replacing the screens and after finding this info, it's happening next week........so I've been told.

Read your article in "On The Road". Pretty good read.

Leigh
FollowupID: 855973

Follow Up By: imanomad2 - Wednesday, Dec 10, 2014 at 03:04

Wednesday, Dec 10, 2014 at 03:04
G'day Leigh & John

We are in the process of fitting midge screens to the Dometic–Seitz windows in the BT. The removal of the frame and the cleaning and installing of the midge screens went well.

Brian does all the measuring and cutting (Margot does not have the patience) so considering Brian is a surveyor, they are all straight as and while we have the frame with screens fitted on the bench, the screens (both midge and privacy) work well with a little drag on the midge screen, but not drastic.

We have come up with a glitch on the large windows (kitchen, lounge, bedroom) once the unit is back together again. The Privacy Screen works as it should.

It appears that the centre of the screen (midge) roller is getting interference from somewhere. When we try to pull the screen down the centre of the roller is being pulled down as well, as though the screen (on the roller) is catching on the window frame and cannot unroll.

It appears that the midge screen is thicker than the standard white one, so we have cut the length of the screens to a minimum to try to prevent drag. Not much luck unfortunately.

Was this a challenge at all. We have been using silicon spray on all the rolling/moving/brushes.

At a loss and very frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Your input would be appreciated
FollowupID: 855974

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:41

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:41
Where have you been folks? That's old news :-)

We along with some mates replaced our white fly screens with black midgee proof screens a few years back ....
AnswerID: 587698

Follow Up By: Leigh & Mita - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 16:37

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 16:37
I thought you had Mick.

Was it a big drama or a relatively painless task????

Leigh
FollowupID: 855975

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 19:52

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 19:52
No drama's but my mate Geoff did his 1st and then together we did mine so I cannot take all the credit.

Main thing you have to be very accurate with is cutting the mesh straight and square otherwise if it's out even slightly it won't roll up properly. Also cut the width wider than standard so the mesh goes to edge to edge, it won't shrink like the standard mesh.

When we 1st did it we did not sew or glue the edge of the mesh which stops it from pulling out of its groove, so I had that happen on a few windows, I ended up removing some again and had my daughter sew the small pocket that the 'whipper sniper cord' slides into. The others I used craft glue along the edge.

At the same time I installed the felt caterpillar strip along the 4 sides,

They do restrict the airflow compared to standard, but the bugs & insects are stopped.

We used the link you put up, that explains it better than I can.

FollowupID: 855976

Reply By: Leigh & Mita - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:39

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:39
Thanks Mick for the "heads up".

BTW You and Vickie have a good trip.

Leigh
AnswerID: 587699

Reply By: Ponce - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 03:51

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 03:51
Started one window and ended up doing the lot at the same time. Very time consuming and as Mick says U must cut the screen straight and square. I had no trouble as I followed the very good instructions supplied by dreampod. I must say in the end I do prefer the black to the white. At over $100 for each screen from Dometic U cannot go wrong.
I found heaps of insects in the screens and even off cuts of wood shavings, metal filings and even plastic insulating off electrical wiring inside the blinds!!!
Regards Ponce
AnswerID: 587700

Follow Up By: Leigh & Mita - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 17:13

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 17:13
Thanks Mate

The "fun" starts today.

Leigh
FollowupID: 855977

Our Sponsors