Mitchell Falls. Any Boggers been in recently ?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:37
ThreadID: 129438 Views:3413 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Next week we would like to drive into the Mitchell Falls with our 16' BT.

Everybody is telling us the road is a no go for caravans, but is it a no go for BTs ?

I went in there four years ago when I was using a swag and don't remember the road as being too bad. Maybe it has deteriorated since.

Any up to date road info would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 18:14

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 18:14
We did it a few years ago, nothing the Bt could not handle though I did ding the steps on steep little gully a few kms before the MP camp ground. The king Edward river should be pretty low by now. I have heard that a grader had been along it recently - just hearsay.

We did the Mud Crab tour - about 20 mins up in the chopper doing a circuit of the ranges before dropping us off at the top. We then did the walk back in the afternoon, that way there is no pressure to be at the pick-up point for a return ride on the chopper.

If you walk back make sure you go down and under the Merton Falls. Magic cool spot with multi coloured rock wall behind you and the water cascading a few metres in front of you.

Enjoy
John and Jean
AnswerID: 587751

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 22:07

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 22:07
OK. Thanks for getting back to me.
Willie
FollowupID: 856011

Reply By: Bobrovin - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2014 at 00:36

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2014 at 00:36
We went there last year and had no problems with a 20'BT. There were a couple of other vans there as well. We had quite a few people arrive to see our van there and were dissapointed that they took the advise to even leave campertrailers behind.
We stayed for 3 nights which alowed us to do day drives to surveyors pool and Warrender. Image Could Not Be Found

Take your time and stay at KE river each way.Image Could Not Be Found

As John says, walk down and under Little Mertin Falls
Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 587752

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2014 at 02:01

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2014 at 02:01
Nice photos, thanks for that.

I was hoping a few of the 'musterers' might have gone in there on their way south. They might have been able to give me an up-to-date road report. But alas .......

Cheers,

Willie.
FollowupID: 856012

Reply By: Muddy1 - Thursday, Aug 28, 2014 at 07:54

Thursday, Aug 28, 2014 at 07:54
I drove it three weeks ago. We left our 18 footer at Drysdale River Station. The Kalumburu Rd is generally more corrugated than the GRR. The section from the GRR to Drysdale had some very annoying deep rutted section.

North of Drysdale seemed a little better, but still plenty of corrugations to slow down over.

The Mitchell Falls Rd took us about three hours to travel, but that was with a few stops to look at the views and have morning tea. Remember, we weren't towing on this section.

I think it is do-able but will just take time. On my whole trip, it was probably the roughest road. There were some corrugations so big they could be surfed! I didn't see any caravans at Mitchell Falls campground, just camper trailers. If you try it, you won't have any tight access issues, as your tour buses use this road regularly.

Mark
AnswerID: 587753

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Aug 28, 2014 at 08:28

Thursday, Aug 28, 2014 at 08:28
Mark,

Thanks for that info. Just what I needed.

I might do the same as you did. Leave the BT at Drysdale and go in with a tent for two nights like we are going to do at the Bungle Bungles.

We just had a rough trip in to Middle Lagoon on Cape Leveque. There is about 20 campers here, but only one other van ........ he busted a shock absorber mount on the way in.

Safe trip,

Willie.
FollowupID: 856013

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 02:35

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 02:35
Hi Willie,
Took me 1hr10 minutes to get 20ft BT into King Edward River camp from Kulumbru rd. just 10km, nice camp though, good swimming hole.
then without the van nearly 2.5 hrs into the Mitchell Falls car park, in the F truck. The road is just as good/bad as the one into Middle Lagoon two weeks ago.
Another 4.5 hrs from the turnoff up to Mcgowans Beach above Kulumbru with the van on.
6.5 hrs back down to the GRR.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 587754

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:42

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:42
Thanks Peter,

I am sitting in my van at El Questro - my first wifi conection since Derby.

We came out from Mitchell Falls yesterday afternoon. We left the van at Drysdale as everybody wisely advised us to do. There was a South Australian BT at the King Edward campground when we went in.

We went into Middle Lagoon as well. What a great place. Had a mango smoothie at the Whale Song Cafe. Caught no fish AS USUAL !

Willie
FollowupID: 856014

Our Sponsors