Check your switchboards.

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 18:45
ThreadID: 129499 Views:3008 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
If the cables that enter your switchboard, look like the photo below, have it made compliant,by a licensed electrical contractor, asap

Cable entry holes (especially those at the top) must be a close fit, so as to not contribute to the spread of fire.
A close fit is deemed to be less than 5mm dia, (about the size of a straw),
anything larger must be sealed with a fire-retardent sealant, this includes internal free space in conduits.

Do you sleep between the switchboard the exit door ?

The other obvious issue in this photo is stripping the protective double insulation back, the protective insulation should be stripped back to a mininum to allow connections, certainly not right back out of the enclosure to who knows where.

Check that you are dealing with licensed electricians, they will have a Goldcard supplied by the Electrical Licensing Board, and should not have problem supplying you with a Certifiacte of Compliance for any electrical work done.
If they cann't, don't use them.

Regards Ken

PS ..sorry about the photo, but its hard to get a good one, when the switchboard is under a seat behind a draw

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Condinup - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 19:04

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 19:04
Hi Ken,

Is your photo the 12 volt or 240 volt switch box?

Re
Mg
AnswerID: 587886

Follow Up By: braggy - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:29

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:29
240V switchboard

Although 12V switchboards do have the same chance of fire and good practice would be sealed with a fire-retardant to limit the spread of fire.
FollowupID: 856068

Reply By: Spydor - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:06

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:06
Hi Braggy,
I must be missing something??? I thought the wiring looked very neat and tidy, held together with small cable ties "etc"
Cheers
Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 587887

Follow Up By: braggy - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:52

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:52
Thats why you need a licensed contractor, to certify that regulations are met.

SAA wiring rules, Clause 2.9.7. Fire- protection measures of switchboards,
doesn't mention looks.

Cheers Ken
FollowupID: 856069

Reply By: Gone Bush - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:41

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:41
"The other obvious issue in this photo is stripping the protective double insulation back, the protective insulation should be stripped back to a mininum to allow connections, certainly not right back out of the enclosure to who knows where."

Braggy, I can't see a cable in either photo that fits this description.

Can you point it out please?
AnswerID: 587888

Follow Up By: braggy - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 22:40

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 22:40
Image Could Not Be Found

Hi Stephen

This is a photo of double insulated cable (TPS, Tough Plastic Sheathed)

Two layers of insulation, the white outer protective sheath and the inner coloured insulation over the copper conductors.
The reason you can't see a cable that fits the description, is that the outer white sheath has been stripped back to... who knows where.

The outer protective sheath, is to be stripped back to a minimum, to maintain maximum protection of the inner cables.
Certainly not stripped back right out of the enclosure (as photo shows) into the space behind the switchboard, where the now single insulated conductors have very little protection from rubbing through and shorting out.

Cheers Ken

FollowupID: 856070

Our Sponsors