Somerset Beach - Cape York

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 00:01
ThreadID: 129555 Views:4216 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
On The Road magazine (Dec edition out today) has an article we wrote on our stay at Somerset Beach. Lovely spot just a few k's east of 'The Tip'

Whilst it gets a few day visitors not to many people camp there. We were parked up with David and Ann Percival whom we have known since our early days in the Bushtracker. Our Bushtracker's were the only vans on the prime, but small eastern end of the beach, and there were usually one or two camper trailers in the shady site at the other end of the beach. Very good spring water can be sourced at the eastern end of the beach thanks to David and Ann excavation skills. Just find a strong run-off and dig a small well - 1m x0.5m will get you all the water you need with a very quick recharge rate.

No cost to stay there, its included in your ticket to cross the Jardine River on the way up. A day trip out to Albany Island Pajabu Pearl base is a must for the bucket list. Phone and occasional internet is on at the beach - give then a call and they will come over the 900m channel and collect you.

There are four caravan park/resorts around the top end. We found the first one at Umagico to be by far the most pleasant and also the cheapest at $25 p/n for a powered site.

Enjoy

John and Jean

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Beatit - Thursday, Nov 20, 2014 at 21:50

Thursday, Nov 20, 2014 at 21:50
Thanks John, enjoyed the article and have it stored away for our visit.
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588008

Reply By: Oldperc - Monday, Dec 01, 2014 at 05:07

Monday, Dec 01, 2014 at 05:07
Hey John and Jean
Great article you have got published in the On the Road.
Excellent account.
Anyone who hasn't had the chance to read and you're looking to head up the The Tip,
get a copy.
Thanks J and J
David and Ann
PS we had heaps of laughs at Somerset Beach and Umagico with all the BT visitors
(John and Jean, Marg and Robby, Stephen and Deborah)
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588009

Our Sponsors