Swift 500 Series cooktop/oven

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:14
ThreadID: 129675 Views:4180 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I notice there are a number of disappointing archived posts on these stoves already.

We've just set off on our maiden voyage in a brand new van, only to find on the 2nd day that the oven runs nowhere near set temperature! After 2 hours of waiting, we had to set it at maximum to cook a vege bake and chicken fillets!

Today we discovered that the electric hotplate doesn't even get hot enough to boil water ... even on maximum!

Are most Swift stoves like this, or are we just lucky ...?

Cheers, Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:09

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:09
G'day Bob

Our 1st swift 500 series lasted 6 years before being replaced as it was damaged. In that time we had the thermocouples replaced but apart from that it worked fine, and we were living full time using it everyday. Ours did not have the electric hot plate, for yours not to get hot enough certainly doesn't sound right.

My wife reminded me that if she cooked a roast in the oven which was rarely as we used camp ovens or the weber Q, she mentioned she would turn the baking dish around 1/2 way through cooking, I think the newer versions are fan forced? Also the cupboards would get very hot with one oven use, the fix was to remove and insulate between the oven & cupboards.

You could get the gas regulator checked for correct pressure, make sure nothing is out of order there or gas lines etc.
AnswerID: 588374

Reply By: bobnmas - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 18:29

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 18:29
Thanks for the response Mick
No, ours isn't fan-forced, but DOES get hot if set to max (250).
Gas flow seems fine, as fridge is good on gas, and burners have healthy flame. Sounds more like a thermostat problem.
Electric element does get quite warm but not hot, so also sounds like a thermostat problem.
Will locate an agent and get it checked out.
Cheers Bob
AnswerID: 588375

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:00

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:00
I presume the 240v element has sufficient sized wiring ... Would imagine so if fitted by BT.

It's being used on external 240v source or invertor 240v?

Just guessing here, I have no experience with the electric element and amount of power draw they take.

Friends who have insulated their ovens have mentioned everything works better, keeps heat in.
FollowupID: 856368

Reply By: bobnmas - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 07:49

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 07:49
Thanks for that Mick, but it's certainly not the wire size (I'm a sparky), and we're on mains power ... we don't have a big enough inverter to run a 1000W element!).
Cheers, Bob
AnswerID: 588376

Our Sponsors