Tempering valve to prevent scolding

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:22
ThreadID: 129689 Views:3872 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
My 2013 van, was delivered without a tempering valve on the hot water to the showers (internal and external), as required by AS3500, for safety protection against scolding from hot water. (Water not to be over 50C at shower or basin)

Does any body have a tempering valve fitted to their van ?

Cheers Ken

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bow & Nan - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 06:21

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 06:21
Ken, tempering valves are unreliable.

Why would you fit rubbish like that to a BT

Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 588417

Follow Up By: braggy - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 07:37

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 07:37
Because it's what the AS3500 regulations require, to stop children from being burned by hot water, those flick mixers in the shower, are way too easy to operate.

I know it would worry me if one of the grandkids got a face full of of scalding water because the regs were ignored.
We have one at home that has been trouble free for 10yrs on bore water.

Pressure regulating valves are more unreliable and I have that rubbish on the van,just because the plumbing can't take any pressure,

Cheers Ken
FollowupID: 856406

Reply By: Toyman - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 21:34

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 21:34
I don't have one EDIT-- I do have one, it was just extremely hard to find. needed a Torch and Mirror and had I not done a Mod and fitted a door under the sink it would have been invisible.
My thoughts, right or wrong.
The hot water units (Suburban/Trauma) in Caravans are all fitted with Thermostats to regulate the Max temperatures.
Instantaneous Units are not required to have one from what I understand.

" The Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) has two conflicting requirements. To protect against the growth of Legionella bacteria, the cause of Legionnaires’ disease, it is a legal requirement that any stored hot water be kept at a minimum temperature of 60°C. This requirement is as per Australian Standard AS3500.4.2 Clause 1.6. This applies to all hot water systems with tanks, including solar and heat pumps.
On the other hand, the Code requires that the delivery temperature of hot water for personal hygiene purposes (primarily bathroom taps) is not to exceed 50°C. The maximum temperature is 45°C for early childhood centres, primary and secondary schools, and nursing homes or similar facilities for young, aged, sick or disabled persons. So, how are both of these requirements met?
The exceptions to this rule are tankless continuous flow hot water systems. As they have no tank in which Legionella bacteria can breed, they do not have to be set at 60°C. Typically, they are factory pre-set to 50°C. As a result, no tempering valve is required."
I would assume a Tempering Valve is not required as the thermostat does not allow the water to reach scalding temperatures.
"Scalding is one of the most serious, painful and long-term injuries for young children. Scalding can happen very quickly, depending on the temperature of the water.
For example, at 60°C a serious burn can occur in 1 second. However, at 50°C a serious burn wouldn’t typically happen until after 5 minutes, so you can see the benefit of controlling the temperature of the hot water at the tap."
I guess if you want added protection just go and buy and fit one.
Excuse the quotes but I find Google my friend.
Cheers
John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588418

Follow Up By: col carpenter - Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 03:25

Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 03:25
John.

They are not instantaneous, they have a tank that holds hot water.
So the thermostat would have to be set over 60C.

Licensed plumber on the job here today, said needs tempering valve if it services the bathroom.

Regards Col
FollowupID: 856407

Follow Up By: Toyman - Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 04:04

Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 04:04
Hi,
Perhaps my phrasing was incorrect.
I realize the two brands I mentioned are NOT instantaneous, but I also know some instantaneous(continuous flow) units have been fitted to Vans so was trying to cover all fields.

Cheers
John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 856408

Follow Up By: braggy - Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 18:27

Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 18:27
Thanks for the reply John,

Seems as though you are the only one who knows what they have.

I had the temperature tested yesterday, the electric heater at the shower head is 65C, and since Suburban state gas is a rise of 45C, with those black tanks on a warm day could make it to 70C.

Hope everyone reads your quote as to how dangerous water is at these temperatures and "does what is in their best interest" and not leave it to someone else to look after them.

Cheers Ken
FollowupID: 856409

Reply By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 05:32

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 05:32
Tempering valves are just another example of the Nanny State overtaking our lives.

The water in our van is hotter than at home and, whether we have a tempering valve or not in the van, I'm glad it's hotter.

At home our HWS has a tempering valve and it does its job, but I hate it. As a matter of fact, I don't add any cold water to the shower at all because it's simply not hot enough.

I wish we could get bureaucratic interference out of our lives and we might all learn to be responsible for our own actions again.

AnswerID: 588419

Follow Up By: col carpenter - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 18:08

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 18:08
It's adjustable, up to 50C, turn it up.

Col
FollowupID: 856410

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 21:22

Sunday, Mar 01, 2015 at 21:22
Had it checked. Several times.

50C is just not hot enough.

FollowupID: 856411

Our Sponsors