Older door hinges

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 21:55
ThreadID: 129718 Views:8790 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we just got back from a trip to the big smoke (Perth) and one of our cupboard hinges has broken. (Last 150km before home is a rather neglected gravel rd). Can we still source the same hinge? - ours is a 2000 model 19' family van.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:25

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:25
With a 1998 model (preloved), we found some hinges had been replaced and what we could get in caravan parts stores were flimsy and soon broke. Looking for decent cupboard hinges with a spring in them, we found them in Bunnings. No breakages since.

They looked something like this
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 588517

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 18:18

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 18:18
Our van is a 99 model with exactly the same hinges & have had a few break over the years.
I usually keep a couple in my spares kit just in case. They have been so far, readily available from at least a couple of the major hardware chains like "Home Hardware", "Bunnings" & I seem to remember picking some up at large independent at some stage.
Usually they come in at least 2 colours so take a sample along, 1 is "Florentine Bronze" & the other "Copper" (I think)???.
I don't know how your van is set up but ours has a couple of cupboard doors, one that was about a 1200 mm high & another about 900. The taller one had only 3 hinges & the shorter only 2 so I added 2 more to the taller & 1 to the shorter of the doors & no they didn't look out of place or over crowding.
Doing that gave them both extra support & we have had a lot less trouble.
Anyway, hope that Helps,

Cheers Sundy.
AnswerID: 588518

Reply By: Rollies - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 21:24

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 21:24
Thanks guys, will go and check out Bundlings and grab a few next time we head to town (we live 130km from our closest town - Esperance WA) It was one of the little cupboards under the kitchen drawers, looks like 'somebody' has opened it too far, too many times and the corrugations just finished it off. Does anyone know if you can get the lockable door handles - ours are the plastic ones and for some reason we have a mixture of brown and white ones. Would like to replace all the dodgy ones.
AnswerID: 588519

Reply By: Maitland Bushies - Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 22:27

Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 22:27
Ours is a 1999 model and the hinges are available from Bunnings. Knobs and latches and almost anything you would need is available from Caravans Plus which is an online store. I have used them many times and find them excellent to deal with.
http://caravansplus.com.au
Being so far from town you may find the online services better than running all around the van dealers etc. I know I do.
Regards, Max
AnswerID: 588520

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 07:58

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 07:58
I had a buggered slide on one of my new drawers and had also broken my second hinge.
I asked the factory to post a replacement slide to PO Darwin and they sent three new hinges as well - No charge. Nice.
AnswerID: 588521

Our Sponsors