BBQ slide & Camec door handle

Submitted: Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 03:52
ThreadID: 129726 Views:17909 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'ay, can anyone advise what slides they have installed for Weber Baby Q as a pull out from the cargo door?
Where did you obtain them from.
I have seen some that slide out with the Baby Q and have a further slide underneath for a single/double gas burner.
How is the gas bayonet set up so there is continuous gas. (until bottle runs out)
I have searched several forums but have not found any DYI instructions/photographs. Any leads/advice.
On another topic we have again broken a door handle, inside this time. Is there available a complete door lock assembly in metal or stronger than plastic.
Thanks. Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 07:41

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 07:41
G'day Greg
With regard to DIY for gas fittings, I recommend that you don't undertake the work yourself.
All gas lines and fittings must be installed by a licensed gas fitter who can supply the parts and give you a certificate of compliance that will satisfy your insurance. (You should already have a certificate for your BT's existing gas plumbing from when it was built.)
If you are unlucky enough to have an incident that results in a claim, and an inspector finds some of the gas plumbing is not certified, your instantly between a rock and a hard place, and on your own.
A licensed gas fitter will also solve your inquiry regarding the correct supply point for your add-on appliance.
Sorry if I have rained on your parade a bit, but that is how things are these days.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 588535

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 18:19

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 18:19
Our Baby Q fits neatly through the access door (standard size) to the storage area and is easy to get in and out. Personally I would not have any style of BBQ operating whilst still attached or adjacent to the side of the Bushtracker. IMHO the risk of a flare-up is too great.

In the past we have accidently left the Baby Q on for over 48 hours - shows you how economical the are on gas.

John and Jean
AnswerID: 588536

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 18:30

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 18:30
Disconnecting the bayonet - turns off the gas. We always disconnect after cooking.

John
AnswerID: 588537

Reply By: Beatit - Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 04:59

Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 04:59
G'day Greg,

Had to replace my door handle assembly a few weeks ago, the inside locking slider broke (leaving me stuck inside but that's another story). Ended up at Camec for simplicity just replaced the internal section of the assembly. The guy behind the counter said that people always break the handles both inside and out. They do sell just the inside handle by the way.

Kind regards

Theo
Beatit off the road

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588538

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 09:37

Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 09:37
Before you break the external handle remove it and lay a screw into the sunken in section, mix up some epoxy resin and fill the handle. The screw just gives some extra strength. Do the same both sides.
FollowupID: 856488

Follow Up By: Downunder - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 21:40

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 21:40
The external handle has weak points in the recessed part in the form of 2 indentations that reduce the cross sectional area and strength. It is, I believe, a purpose designed fracture point to thwart would be thieves by allowing the handle to break before the villain gains entry.
It just so happens that many people break them during normal operation, something I feel sure the manufacturers are aware of but will not change as there is a quid in it.
As has already been stated, fill the recesses either side with epoxy and it is stronger than ever but bear in mind it is unlikely to break if somebody tries to get in. Worth the risk in my opinion.
Cheers, Bill
FollowupID: 856489

Reply By: Trakka - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 01:26

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 01:26
I have found Caravans Plus to be an excellent and very well priced supplier of many things for caravans including the door handles or complete door opening assembly. Delivery is also excellent to anywhere in Australia as recently found with a delivery out into the WA goldfields.

Their pricing and delivery would surely place them at the very top of the supply chain, in my opinion - NO affiliation here whatsoever, just very pleased with their service.

Not aware of any metal handles, newest version external handle is superior to original older ones that have a history of regular breakage.

Cheers,
PetrG
AnswerID: 588539

Reply By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 02:59

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 02:59
I've seen a fellow caravanner selling cast alloy handles at a free campsite, not sure where he got them though.

I did the same as Mick with a product similar to Knead It and a pop rivet.

AnswerID: 588540

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 03:24

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 03:24
The Knead It is a good idea, no need to dismantle the handle which you have to with the epoxy.
I think you can get black Knead It also. Sets hard as a rock.
FollowupID: 856490

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 03:55

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 03:55
I used CRC Minute Mend

Probably identical in use to the black Knead It that Mick mentioned. The good thing about this stuff is that you can trim off the excess with a Stanley knife before it hardens, leaving a flat surface.

I actually bought it in Mareeba while we were staying at the Rodeo Grounds. Great place.
FollowupID: 856491

Reply By: Gone Bush - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 04:05

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 04:05
I'm having trouble composing a link on my iPad.

Google videos on "Camec Door Handle Repair" and you will get a couple of helpful sites.

AnswerID: 588541

Our Sponsors