Noise under van

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 05, 2015 at 11:22
ThreadID: 129866 Views:2676 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We have a funny noise under the van that I can not trace. It occurs every now and then postioned in certain spots. We have had it for years and have never been able to work out what it is. It is hard to explain but is a sound like a rocking dull squeek. A difficult one to explain.
Has anyone any clues.????

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Aug 05, 2015 at 12:03

Wednesday, Aug 05, 2015 at 12:03
Hullo Barrie,

Are you sure it's not just the infamous Simplicity Squeak?

The most effective contraceptive ever encountered.

When I recently changed over my stub axles and frames I noticed that the outside pivot points had nylon washers fitted but the inside ones didn't. Or more accurately, one inner pivot point had 2, one had 1, two didn't have any.

Simplicity only supplied 8 new washers so I picked out the best of the old ones and re-used them.

I spoke to Simplicity about this and since the form and function of the inner pivot points is the same as the outer points, I'm happy with what I did, despite extreme and unfounded criticism on another Forum. If you want to discuss my conversation with Simplicity, I think you've still got my mobile number.

Anyway, the squeak could be metal against metal on those inner pivot points.

AnswerID: 588877

Reply By: braggy - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 07:48

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 07:48
If you have a Tekonsha(?) brake controller, it could be that. They send a test signal to the van brakes every so often which activates the magnets, and can make a sound when it moves.
But if it happens when not plugged in to car, that's not it

Cheers Ken

AnswerID: 588909

Follow Up By: Maximus - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:13

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:13
Thanks for your idea Ken, however it is not happening when hooked up and going..
Cheers
FollowupID: 856736

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 16:49

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 16:49
Very likely to be the pivot block rubbing on the cross member.
If the pivot block has moved, possible after rough road travel, the whole spring assembly can move backwards and you can get a steel to steel contact.
If the pivot block looks ok it could be just the material squeaking.
Relieve the load on the pivot block by jacking under the cross member and then squirt in a little lubricant on the top face of the pivot block.
That will prove or disprove the theory.
There is a new design pivot block with a different material that is supposed to be longer wearing and "non squeak"

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 588933

Follow Up By: Maximus - Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 16:40

Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 16:40
Bob

On the road so will try that on return to home in a few days.Not happening at the moment. When hooked up..no worries..when unhooked and set up on a site..it does it every now and then..
Thanks for your suggestion.
Cheers
FollowupID: 856797

Reply By: Bobrovin - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 16:00

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 16:00
Possibly the brake shoes or magnets rubbing as the wheels rotate slightly with van vertical movement. We fixed this noise by using a set of X-Chokes to stop the wheel movement.
AnswerID: 589007

Follow Up By: Maximus - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:56

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:56
Bobrovin
that is a good point. happens every now and then unhooked but never when hitched. That is the sort of noise it makes. Like a noisy pendulum.
Will have to try and get some X-chokes. I believe you got them from the Us but Stephen..Gone Bush has tried that site and they will not send to Aus.??
Thanks
FollowupID: 856893

Reply By: Dingley Deserters - Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 18:39

Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 18:39
Pretty sure you will find that it is the brake actuator arm to which the magnet is attached moving against the backing plate. Ours is the same and only happens on the rear left hand wheel in the right circumstances. We do have x chocks and think that they do help.
Regards,
Dingley Deserters

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Cargo Barrier for 300 LC

AnswerID: 589471

Follow Up By: Maximus - Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 18:55

Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 18:55
Spot on with that. That is were it appears to be coming from. It also only happens in certain positions as you have found.

Thanks

Barrie

FollowupID: 857375

Our Sponsors