WDH

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 10:24
ThreadID: 130072 Views:3017 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'ay, recently in light of the recall of another brand of off road caravans I contacted Swift Stoves concerning the recall where cracks/breakages were occurring in the gas lines. From the information provided I have established that the Swift oven was fixed securely by Bushtracker and one of the better brands inspected. Whilst speaking with Swift they made mention that one of the major causes of damage was the non removal of WDH when travelling off road. I have made a search of the forum but only found one entry which stated removal when off road only when travelling through dips/riverbeds/etc. What is the general consensus concerning travelling off road with or without WDH. I have the Eaz Lift 363 kg max. hitch weight set up. Thanks. Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 16:16

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 16:16
G'day Greg,

When using the Hayman Reece I have always removed the WDB's when travelling off road on tracks where there are lots of dips and bumps, it allows the hitch to articulate more an puts less pressure on the towbar. I can't see the reasons behind Swifts advice about it causing damage to the stove.
AnswerID: 589563

Follow Up By: CROW EATERS - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 08:45

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 08:45
G'ay, thank you for replies. Swift is of the opinion that with the WDB's connected they set up vibrations in the caravan when off road thus causing cracks/breakages to the gas lines. It appears that if the stove is not securely mounted to the caravan base and frame this may occur. Thanks. Greg
FollowupID: 857482

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:05

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:05
Personally I would be thinking more along the lines of "not securely mounted" is the problem regardless of WDB's or not. Years ago we had a problem with the Dometic AC, the copper pipes were not supported and the lines fractured, same goes for any copper lines.
FollowupID: 857490

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 18:49

Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 18:49
We have had no problems with the gas lines, but ALL of the plastic control knobs have cracked where the spring loaded clip is inserted inside it. We had one knob fall on the floor so I inspected the others and found that they were all cracked.

Have others had this problem.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 857812

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 20:06

Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 20:06
On our previous stove we have had the control knobs come off, the clips dissapeared to who knows where :-) so for a couple I had to make up the metal clip, I don't think the knobs were cracked.
FollowupID: 857820

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 19:43

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 19:43
In ten years of outback travel and thousands of kms on bad and heavily corrugated roads I have never removed the HR WDH and my stove is a Swift.

John and Jean
AnswerID: 589574

Reply By: AroundAustralia - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 21:59

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 21:59
HR clearly state their WDH should be removed when travelling on unsealed roads or where abnormal articulation is occurring. In my opinion, there is a noticeable difference in ride especially on corrugated dirt roads with the bars removed. I'm sure the early demise of our Microwave was caused by me being to lazy to get out and take them off on the short 15 and 20K jaunts off the bitumen.

Cheers,

Wendy & Michael

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589685

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 18:46

Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 18:46
That is alright for HR to say it should be removed but some vehicle manufactures specify that their vehicles can only tow trailers above set limits of ball weight or towed weight if they have the WDH fitted.

Therefore for the likes of an F250 without a WDH fitted it is limited to 227kg or 2270 kg load.

HR cannot override this Manufacturers limits.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 857811

Our Sponsors