200 series power steering

Submitted: Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 09:22
ThreadID: 130145 Views:4563 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
If you see a drop in the level of power steering fluid in the top plastic bottle "PANIC"
We were up at Ningaloo when I noticed the drop.There was no oil on the ground, just weeping from the power steering rack. On arrival back home I went to my mechanic, thinking it would be simple "0 ring" or seal problem. Wrong. Toyota confirmed that the item is not a repairable part. and a new rack is $3,360.00 plus labour to fit. I pointed out to Toyota, that the vehicle has only done 167K. they basically don't care. the service people said that mine as the first one they had heard of. "bull###t " However, after searching various Toyota web sites. It appears to be a common problem. I am now trying to source an aftermarket rack at a cheaper price. wish me luck!!!!
cheers
Spydor & Robyn
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Track n on - Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 15:17

Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 15:17
That's bad luck mate. Toyota are never cheap especially their labour. Hope you get it sorted. We are sitting at Cape Tribulation FNQ at the moment. Cheers. Bob & Sue
AnswerID: 589830

Reply By: Spydor - Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 16:56

Monday, Aug 31, 2015 at 16:56
Hi Bob & Sue, Good to hear from you. Thanks for the best wishes. I have found an aftermarket parts supplier in Sydney. They trade as "carparts2u". They can supply a fully reconditioned genuine Toyota steering rack for $895.00. I would prefer a new unit. However the cost is prohibitive. The recon comes with a 12 month warranty, so they must have some faith in the product?? Anyway, for better or worse, I think i will go down that track for now
Cheers
Spydor & Robyn
P.S. Isn't it about time you guys came west again?
Spydor

AnswerID: 589833

Follow Up By: Doinit-Ezy - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 18:55

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 18:55
Hi Spydor & Robyn

I still have the 100 series & awaiting the 300 with the 4 tonne tow capacity & 1000kg payload (Wishful thinking but I might get lucky - I did write them a letter a couple of months back but it must have arrived too late for the October 200 upgrade).
I have no mechanical knowledge & it is probably unrelated however in 2010 met several 200 series owners on Gibb with power steering failures. Cause was reportedly oil hose wearing through on chassis due to loose fitting nut/bolt. That oil loss event shut down all systems & they needed a tow from Drysdale River Station & Mitchell Plateau. Only occurred on vehicles with high mileage offroad use.
Best of luck.
Greg
FollowupID: 857852

Reply By: Spydor - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 09:15

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 09:15
Thanks Greg, I will have a look at that side of things. But, due to the fact that it is a SLOW weeping type leak. I think it will be the fittings on the rack itself.
Cheers
Spydor & Robyn
Spydor

AnswerID: 589883

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 22:17

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 22:17
That's a bugger Spydor, the curse of Ningaloo strikes again .. Did you comment on LCOOL about it? Just wondering if there was any feedback on number of occurances .. Thank goodness I have 6 year warranty,
FollowupID: 857958

Our Sponsors