Ram Trucks

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:08
ThreadID: 130296 Views:2715 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just putting out a call to anyone who has a newer Ram (14 & 15) for any and all feedback on how the vehicle is travelling, figuratively speaking.

Interested in any problems with the emission system and what owners are doing about servicing. Anyone using Chrysler dealers and do they have the means to conduct services, manage any recalls and install updates or do people simply source a diesel mechanic with the necessary diagnostic equipment.

I am looking at buying one so any information is good information. Pity about the low dollar but I suspect it may be a while before it improves if at all and cant wait forever.

Look forward to hearing your experiences and any recommendations.

Cheers,

Bill

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bill & Rose - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:59

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:59
We have a MY15 2500 Longhorn picked up in April. It is a fantastic truck; very economical to run - gets around 10L/100km without BT and 16-18L/100km with a heavy BT - the higher figure is in hilly country; extremely comfortable and towing is a breeze. I don't find parking it in town any problem at all - its big but in fact very easy to park with rear camera and sensors. The AdBlue system is no problem and I have only topped it up twice in 10,000km. At one fuel place I needed to get an adaptor from the counter but that applies to all trucks.
In regard to servicing you could get it done anywhere - just supply the oil which is Cummins Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme (C5-4)/SM 15W/40; the oil filter and the engine fuel filter - these are available very cheaply from any Cummins truck servicing dealer. The Ram takes 11.2L of oil and its $120 for 20L; the fuel filter is $19 and the oil filter $33. There is another fuel filter on the chassis which is not stocked by Cummins and you will get ripped off on this one but they are available locally or from the US. Cummins dealers are also happy to service the Ram. So servicing is no problem and the parts are cheap.
I purchased my Ram in Sydney and the conversion company has an up to date computer diagnostic setup but I have not used it. They ran the truck through it to clear any faults prior to pickup.
I suggest you join one of the Ram forums. Lots of info.
AnswerID: 590401

Follow Up By: Downunder - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 13:01

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 13:01
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your input. Its great to see you like the vehicle and its economical to boot. You are not mucking around having chalked up 10,000k's already, perhaps you are doing a lap.
Good to hear you have had no problem with the Ad- Blue system. What is the adapter you mentioned you had to get from the counter, is it something that allows connection between the fill point and the nozzle?
The information you mention about the servicing will be very useful and I have made a mental note about the fuel filter on the chassis.
We are also buying our Ram through a company just outside of Sydney and he said he has all the filters I will need so will stock up when we pick it up.
We have bought a Laramie Limited in Granite Crystal metallic but probably wont be picking it up until early in the new year.
Everything we have read tells us it will be a dream to drive and will manage the van with ease and your coalface experience just reinforces that. Can't wait to get the van behind it, wife is already planning a trip down the Darling River early next year.
Just got to sell our 04 f250 now and things will be good. I hate selling cars so hee is hoping the right person comes along quickly.
The Ram forums you refer to, are you talking about one of those in the US or is there one in Australia?
thanks again.
Bill
FollowupID: 858486

Our Sponsors