TOYOTA 200

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 21:47
ThreadID: 130374 Views:2697 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at buying a new 200. Tossing between a GX or GXL. We currently have a 100
series with 400 coils and front and rear axle locks. How does the traction control compare with axlelocks? I do a bit of 4wdriving. What's the average fuel usage? We tow a 21 foot Bushtracker.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 22:17

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 22:17
I recently bought a new 200, previously we towed with a well set up 79 series. I can't give you a direct comparison of diff locks vrs crawl control because I haven't even used that feature yet. From what I have read and seen the 200 is a very capable 4WD, and many owners who have owned earlier models with factory or after marker diff locks have not bothered fitting them to the 200. I'd suggest joining www.lcool.org and asking the question there.

My vehicle has a GVM upgrade to 3800kg, federally compliant using Dobinson & Bilstein suspension components, I also changed the upper control arms over to a set that allows greater wheel alignment adjustments, plus a diff drop kit to keep the CV joints at a safe angle. Rear springs were rated at 300kg and rather than go stiffer I opted for coil rite airbags, on a recent trip from WA to SA the van towed superbly, I did not use my weight distribution bars, vehicle fuel consumption ranged from 23lt per 100 with head & side winds, to 18.8lph in good conditions. I tow in S4 which gives the best fuel economy in the 90-100kph range.

Ours is a VX so deciding between models is a personal choice.
AnswerID: 590623

Reply By: The Hob - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 06:55

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 06:55
One difference between models is wheel size 17 v 18 with corresponding price difference and availability of tyres to suit.

I have found the GXL to be very capable offroad and I tow a 19ft BT and like Mick find fuel consumption to be about 20 on average. Out west it can be lower and around the eastern ranges it gets higher

Alan
AnswerID: 590629

Reply By: Spydor - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 09:22

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 09:22
Hi,
We have the GXL fitted with "KDSS" and the normal traction control system. As stated by others, this does make the cruiser very capable off road. However, due to the fact that my wife and I go to remote and sometimes difficult places on our own. I have had arb air lockers in my last three Toyotas. In my experience there is a vast difference between computer controlled traction control and diff locks. Lockers have "saved" us on several occasions. I am not advocating that you buy arb air lockers. There are several aftermarket lockers available, OR you can order your cruiser with factory diff locks. Don't settle for just one locker. Get front and rear, they can be operated individually when required.
We also run 285/70 17inch tyres.
Cheers
Spydor & Robyn
P.S> In case the lockers don't "save us" we also carry an E.P.I.R.B. registered to the vehicle.
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590636

Reply By: Grumpy - Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 14:24

Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 14:24
We went for the GX as we did not want carpets or third row seats. Also GX comes with barn doors (which will open with BT hooked up) and steel wheels as well as snorkel as standard. 17" wheels I thought were std on all models except for Sahara?

The saving in cost between GX and GXL was put to GVM upgrade, bullbar, drawers, fridge slide, plus more
AnswerID: 590922

Reply By: Member - Fourby - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 19:03

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 19:03
AS Spydor said, ask for Factory difflocks, they come with a larger stronger diffs then the standard ones fitted with after market difflocks.
Ask your Toyota dealer for more info.
AnswerID: 591995

Reply By: trailer - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 22:07

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 22:07
Thank you for your replies. I went into buy GX but after talking to them, I ended up ordering a GXL.
We pick up the car tomorrow. We also carry a EPIRB and a sat phone. Hope we don't need either.
Meet you along the tracks somewhere. Travel safe and God BLESS.
AnswerID: 592036

Our Sponsors