help with the bog bible

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 07:33
ThreadID: 132414 Views:3309 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The plastic inside handle on our camec door has broken so for the first time I looked up the bible and was pleased to find an article on the replacement.
Unfortunately I can't seem to open It?
Can anyone advise as it is a "bit" awkward trying to exit the van.

Cheers graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sawtybt - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 07:51

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 07:51
Graham,

I copied and pasted from the bible.. Not sure why you cannot access..

Problems & solutions with the Camec triple lock door.

Why do problems always occur away from civilisation? We have had two recent separate problems with our Camec door.

1) You lock the door on the way to scare-up some food & the barrel of the lock comes out with the key.
2) You’ve had your tucker & are locking up for the night (from the inside) & then find that you cannot unlock the door.
There’s no one around & what to do? All tools are outside the van & the only possibility inside is some olive oil. Tried this to lubricate the mechanism, but was still locked in.
Out the bedroom window is the only alternative.
I removed the fly screen by prying it free with a kitchen knife.
Placed a pillow over the window frame, slid out feet first & found still a long drop to the ground.
Once on terra firma, I found that the key opened the door as normal. Also found that the inside lock would work OK with the door open, but would still not unlock with the door closed. (No I didn’t slide out the window again this time, as SWMBO was outside with the key!)
I adjusted the striker plates on the door frame, & this seemed to correct the problem.
Time for bed now, all OK?
Good nights sleep & next morning, guess what?
We were locked in again! (Some people never learn)
Out the window again, & we left the door unlocked for the rest of the trip.

Fixes

1) After doing a major dismantle of the door, found that to replace the door lock barrel is simple.
Place the key in the lock barrel & with the lock tabs in the down position, use a small screwdriver to depress the locking tab on the barrel, & slide the assembly in until the locking tab locates.
I don’t know why the barrel came out in the first place, but its still there & the problem has not re-occurred again.
2) After removing the door handles, they have to go back in.
After much trial & error, this is how you do it:
Place the outside handle on first, unlock the inside handle, & place it where it should go (except it won’t).
Enlist the assistance of your beloved or one of the assembled crowd of rubbernecking sightseers.
Get them to depress the bottom door latch, while you depress the centre latch while pushing the handle back in place.
The bottom latch lifts a spring-loaded bar that operates the latches, & the centre latch engages a rack on the metal bar, with a pinion on the handle assembly.
These need to align, before the sliding aluminium actuator of the handle assembly will insert into a slot on the latch bar.
Replace the top & bottom screws on the door handle. You need to lock the door from inside to get access to the remaining screw. (press the spring loaded button near the latch to be able to lock the door while its still open)

Sounds complicated? Not really, patience & common sense are all that’s needed. (Don’t take too much notice from all the uneducated spectators.)

3) Now the funny part, of fixing the locked-in situation.
I waited until we got home to dismantle the door bits.
I completely dismantled the door handle assembly, & found an absence of any sensible reason why we got locked in.
I did find a slight burr on the sliding aluminium bits, which could catch, but I don’t think that this was the cause of the problem.(removed the burr anyhow)
I thoroughly cleaned all parts & lubricated everything with silicone spray lubricant. (Don’t know if this is the best procedure, but time will tell.)
Thoroughly cleaned all bits in the door, & using previously gained experience, reassembled the door handles into the door.
I adjusted the striker plates to where it seemed to be a good place. (It would be nice to know the exact procedure.)

I also adjusted the striker plates on the screen door to make it unlatch easier.
Everything back together again & the door locks are working like a bought one!

(Until the next time anyhow)
AnswerID: 600064

Follow Up By: Cargra - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 08:26

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 08:26
Thanks for that, think I will continue to use long nose pliers to escape until we get home next week.
problem with the bog is probably me as not all that great with comps, I clicked on the article but it either is going to take ages to download or I'm missing a simple task.

Cheersgraham
FollowupID: 869377

Reply By: Gone Bush - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 08:46

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 08:46
If you enter "Camec door handle" into Google and select "videos" you will find a lot of tutorials on what to do.

AnswerID: 600067

Follow Up By: Cargra - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 09:17

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 09:17
I would really like to know how to progress on the bog bible to open an article, hopeless I know but thanks anyway.
FollowupID: 869378

Reply By: Flavs - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 16:00

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 16:00
Hi Graham
Menu
Members
Files & Documents
Bog Bible

The top
General Info
Maintenance
Travel
Allow you to download a zip file for storage of all the Bog Bible on your device.

The bottom 3 folders expand to show the individual folders.
Once you find the file you want click on it and it will download to your device. You may need to goto your downloads on your device then click on it again.

I downloaded all 3 zip files to my computer so I can access when I do not have internet service.

Hope this helps. If not contact me and I'll walk you through it.

Cheers
Noel
Noel & Denise
Website Manager
Life Member

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 600094

Follow Up By: Cargra - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 05:26

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 05:26
Thanks Noel, as I said I am hopeless on the comp. It seems I have downloaded 4 copies of the desired article. I simply assumed it would come up when "touched" . Finally found the downloads button.
It's always the simple things Hey! Thanks again for the clue.

Cheersgraham
FollowupID: 869438

Our Sponsors