Roof leak

Submitted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 20:05
ThreadID: 132517 Views:3988 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We appear to have had a leak in the roof somewhere near the rear part of the dometic air con (underneath the overhang at rear of unit), which has caused the vinyl(?) covering on the ceiling to bubble away from the actual ceiling board.
Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you repair the problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cargra - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 06:38

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 06:38
our 05 van ceiling vinyl has lifted/bubbled off the ply in a couple of places, doesn't appear to be from a leak. the patches are about 100-150mm diameter. we applied craft glue for a quick fix.
don't know if it's the same problem as you, maybe an age failure of the original adhesive.

cheers graham
AnswerID: 600530

Reply By: Cook & Chauffeur - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 07:42

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 07:42
Thanks for your reply - it sounds very much like the same thing. Where ours has bubbled is under the overhang of the a/c - very hard to think of a roof leak in that area but it was my first impression.
Our van is 2011 and the bubbled area is around 250mm square. The van has been in storage for a bit and the vinyl has cracked and fallen off the ceiling so we are looking to have to replace a section of it - if we can source a replacement section somewhere
AnswerID: 600531

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 09:52

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 09:52
We have had the same problem with our 2001 van and also our current 2005 van. I filled a hyperdermic needle with superglue and squirted it in under the loose section. Push the loose section hard up against the ceiling for a few seconds, seems to work ! Use a piece of plastic or cloth to push with NOT your finger That stuff sticks like the proverbial
Cheers
Spydor
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 600765

Reply By: Cowcockies - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:11

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:11
We had a roof leak in a similar spot which we found very hard to find in 2005 van. Turned out to be one of the 4 sola panels leaking into it's power junction box then into the conduit & then into the roof. No power problems, l have sealed all round the problem panel with "Selleys all clear multipurpose co-polymer sealant".Sealed round inside the junction box were the power enters the roof & put a drain in that box. That was 2 years ago, & it has again just had a good test in the last few days, with no leaks

Regards David
AnswerID: 601080

Reply By: MattandLana - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 01:16

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 01:16
Still working through ours but here's part 1:

Holed the roof on a branch. 1cm hole only, but the accompanying dent funneled water beautifully. Having the van nice and level meant it flowed all over the top side of the ceiling, causing buckling in several spots, and coming out through light, speakers, and also somehow down through inside walls into tunnel and under beds. Buckling in ceiling involves "dips" and "hills" maybe 1-2 cm peak to trough in 2-3 spots. Nice effort! :(

Local (Perth) van shop said due to BT unique (excellent) construction, he can't come in from outside like any other van. Thus to remove and refit almost whole ceiling involves coming in from inside, and to get at ceiling involves removing almost all cabinets, i.e. almost a complete interior rebuild! Said better for such a big job to send it back to BT. This is Absolute Caravans in Balcatta. Full credit to him for not just 'having a go' on our expensive toy.

Emailing photos to BT tomoz for their view. I'll report back.

Negotiations with CIL about to start. BT are optimistic that CIL will cover freight. I hope so!
AnswerID: 601085

Follow Up By: MattandLana - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 09:32

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 09:32
The points in my tale, which I forgot to make while typing on my phone last night:
1. the leak could be anywhere, and need be nowhere near the drip
2. I've been told that replacing ceiling panels (if you need to) is a biggish job because the cabinetry holds them in place. This is subject to what BT say when they see the photos.
FYI the buckling I have is in material which feels 2-3mm thick, Clarification: peaks and troughs are maybe 1-2cm change in elevation, but maybe 50cm horizontally peak to trough. ie. I would call mine the ceiling "sagging" or "warping" rather than "bubbling" or "blistering". May be a different symptom to yours. I'm guessing the plywood sheet, to which I assume the vinyl sheet is laminated, has expanded and warped.
Mine's a 2012.
FollowupID: 870411

Reply By: Sawtybt - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 11:47

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 11:47
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

We have always insured with CIL. We have made two claims with one being a total reskin in 2013 due to hail damage. While I'm sure there may be cheaper options for van insurance we will continue to ensure through them. Both claims were handled expediently and without fuss and the repairs were carried out at Bushtracker.

Regards
Ross
AnswerID: 601094

Our Sponsors