Double Compressor Refrigerators???

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:07
ThreadID: 132640 Views:3578 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Could we please be provided with an update assessment from those BOG members who are now utilising double compressor refrigerators?

Replacing our ageing refrigerator is getting closer and the double compressor models still intrigue us.

Bob (Turist) was kind enough to show me his double compressor refrigerator at the Mullumbimby muster and I liked what I saw.

Tassie Wayne also allowed us to look at his refrigerator.

I saw that Matthew from BTI - display caravan at Mullumbimby had a double compressor refrigerator and he was kind enough to advise at that point in time - BTI were not considering these refrigerators any further as the solar input was unable to match the power output of the double compressor refrigerators. (I hope I got that interpretation right Matthew.)

Some of the information we would like is stated below –

1. Type and model of fridge and your thoughts of the refrigerator?

2. How many batteries / type, in your van?

3. How often do both compressors operate at the same time?

4. What is the drain on power with one and both compressors operating?

5. How much usage of your refrigerator to date while independent camping away from 240 volt?

6. What climatic conditions has the refrigerator operated in, (performance in hot humid conditions etc)?

7. What was involved with installation, including wiring requirements?

8. How does the level of noise in the caravan compare to the single compressor?

9. What are the costs involved?

Thank you

Steve & Mary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dingley Deserters - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:23

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:23
Hi Steve, We don't have one of these fridges but I was talking to a guy in Melbourne and he was telling me about a 240 v fridge. Info as follows:-

We recently replaced our gas guzzling Dometic RM 7855 L 175l with a Samsung SR255MLS 254l (NZ $700) fridge/freezer.
Average power usage over the last 6 months here in NZ at 13VDC has been 58Ah/day including conversion losses.
Running from a dedicated <$100 300W PSW inverter. It cruises from 1.7 to 90W in use with the occasional 130W draw during the brief defrost cycles. No surge current.
The invertor heatsinks barely exceed room temperature and I have disconnected the unnecessary noisy cooling fan.
I can't hear the fridge compressor from our bed 2 metres away.
The bread bin - I mean microwave oven removed was no loss.
We are very happy.

Copied from another forum. Good luck. Hope to see you at Winton.
Geoff.
Dingley Deserters

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Cargo Barrier for 300 LC

AnswerID: 600985

Reply By: Jeff & Melba - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 11:48

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 11:48
G'day Steve
Domestic fridge compressors are designed to sit on your kitchen floor not bounce around in caravans. With movement the refrigerant gas can return to the compressor as a liquid destroying it. Quality marine fridges are made to bounce around in boats and bushtrackers. I will send you a member message with more info if you are interested .
Jeff.
AnswerID: 601002

Reply By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 11:54

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 11:54
If anyone has their inverter running fulltime, it's important to alert others that there is live 240v inside the van.

In an accident etc, where people other than the van owners may need access to the inside.

We only run our inverter while stationary and we are inside, but I got these stickers through another Forum anyway, just to be on the safe side.

I put one on the external window frame near the door,

and one on the main power supply board.

AnswerID: 601004

Reply By: Cargra - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 11:04

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 11:04
G'day Steve & Mary,

I suggest you look at Keogh Marines web site to find the dimensions, cost etc of the Nova Cool fridges of which only one has the dual compressors.

I liked what I saw but as our van is 05 vintage the mods required to fit that particular one are too extensive. The models that would fit are basically the same as I have so hoping it will continue to serve us as it has for the last 10years.

cheers graham
AnswerID: 601048

Our Sponsors