Importance of correct tow ball weight

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 26, 2016 at 11:24
ThreadID: 133081 Views:9483 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just come across this demonstration of the importance of correct tow ball weight, that explains the subject in clear and concise terms.

http://caravansplus.com.au/lq?id=12978&pw=11639&pg=27

Watch the complete video for the full explanation of what can happen and how to rectify.

Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2016 at 15:03

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2016 at 15:03
How very true.

It would be interesting to know the weight distribution of the caravan involved in that video....it didn't *appear* to have any large items on the back (but maybe inside it was a different story??).

Bill
AnswerID: 602810

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 15:44

Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 15:44
Notice that they didn't mention or show any affect of having too much ball weight.

In this crash it probably had some bearing on the amount of wind being pushed by the truck or a side wind that was present after getting just in front of the truck.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 603295

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 16:43

Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 16:43
I think that Hayman Reece should not use this video to promote their weight distribution hitch. If you read my report on ":Caravans and Trucks Sharing the Road in Australia" (BOG Bible - Towing Tips), you will see that the major contributing factor in this crash was the bow wave of wind at the front of the truck. The force of the wind first hits the front left side of the van, then the rear left side. This sets up harmonic motion, and the sway increases until the roll-over. This can (and does) happen, even with a weight distribution hitch.
I updated my report following this particular incident in August, 2014. If anyone would like to see this report, send me a message with your email address.

Cheers...........Rob Caldwell.
AnswerID: 603300

Our Sponsors