Advice on Cape York Trip

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 16:03
ThreadID: 134303 Views:4170 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone thinking of doing cape York in August have a 20 ft BT but have been told by others to leave van at Bramwell station and tent the rest. I would love some honest feed back from those that may have done this trip recently and any advice you can pass on .Many Thanks Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MUSKY - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 22:24

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 22:24
your bt will make it to the top easy on the development rd,you should leave your bt at bramwell station only to do a day or two at elliot falls,twin falls and fruit bat falls,gunshot etc which are on the telegraph track.i was up there last year at loyalty beach,there were jayco's up there so i think you will be OK.the road condition change every year,but you will be fine
musky
AnswerID: 608622

Reply By: Krisandkev - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:04

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:04
We spent 4 weeks up there last year in our 20 ft, did the trip easy. Only one incident when we were heading south when a rather long truck came out of a blind and sharp corner on our side of the road! We had to go off the road a little and slightly damaged one of the van's wheels. He was going fast and obviously was not concerned about all of the families travelling at that time of the year leading up to the school holidays.
But really you will have no problems. Let you tire pressures down and drive to the conditions as the road changes, one minute smooth as and then bang. Also watch for cars that do not have their headlights on. Most do thankfully.
Some great free camping spots along the way. At the turn off for the track to Fruit Bat Falls there is a track going off to the right which is a great free camp spot and to unhook and do the drive in.
Make sure you spend time in the Lakefield National Park. We did that on the way back and did the Battle Camp Road short cut back to Cooktown.
And try not to rush up there, brilliant country.... Kevin
KrisandKev

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 608628

Reply By: SMICK - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 09:35

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 09:35
We stayed at the caravan park in Umagico. A small and friendly park. You can camp right on the waters edge. Most people stay at the larger and more noisy parks a little further north. We also found the fuel was cheaper in Umagico.
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 608635

Reply By: Trakka - Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 11:44

Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 11:44
We did the trip in 2015 without any real issues, Bushtracker can easily be taken right up to Punsand Bay caravan park as the road from Bamiga to the tip is about the same as already travelled along the Peninsular Development Road, ie it can be heavily corrugated but is not impassable (dry weather of course). We camped at Seisia caravan park and drove to the tip not knowing about the CVPark (which is quite expensive).

Suggest using the Lakefield National Park section of road (from Laura) as it was in much better condition but still corrugated. There is a Services (veterans) camp at Pandanus Park for ex Services people which is also quite good - need to be a Vet or travelling with one to stay there.

Bramwell Station (as opposed to Bramwell Junction) is a good stop, great food and entertainment on a nightly basis.

There are a few idiots on the road who only know flat out so keep a good look out and do keep your lights on all the way in the dusty conditions.

Wonderful trip, enjoy.
Peter G
AnswerID: 608662

Reply By: Krisandkev - Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 13:17

Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 13:17
A bit of a hint once you get up there. We stayed at Loyalty Beach and went looking for a dump point, around Bamaga and Seisia and there is not one. But found an inspection point at the rear of public toilets (sewerage system) in Seisia where we were able to unscrew the lid and empty the portaloo without any problems. There is a tap at the front of the block and we used a container we carry for the use to fill and flush the portaloo. So if you need it, as you drive into Seisia there is a dirt road to your left, before the servo which is on your right. Just along is the toilet block on your left, drive around to the right of the block and you will see the usual white PVC coming out of the block. Just saves digging a hole somewhere. Kevin
KrisandKev

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 608703

Reply By: Stainless - Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 18:03

Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 18:03
Many thanks to all for the great info about our trip,all this info will be very helpful . Thanks again regards Gary
AnswerID: 608710

Reply By: Barker - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2017 at 20:04

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2017 at 20:04
just do it!! we travelled last year, it was a bit rough and corrugated but ok for the BT. take it easy and you will be fine.
AnswerID: 609392

Our Sponsors