Dodge Ram servicing

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 18:08
ThreadID: 134484 Views:3588 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

Would any of you boggers travelling with a Dodge Ram be able to inform me of the servicing costs of the Dodge as compared to a LC200.?
Are the service intervals the same as LC200?
Do you service it yourself?
Have you had any "teething" problems with them?

Also do you have to have a Light Truck licence to be able to drive the Dodge Ram 2500 towing a 21 ft BT that is 3500kg (or if we upgrade it to 4000kg)?
I have a MC lic but my wife only has C class.

Many thanks
Grahame
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 19:10

Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 19:10
I can't answer about the servicing costs etc, but I can say with regard to the type of drivers license required, it depends on how the vehicle has been complianced.

In Queensland, for example, Performax International did the conversion of my Chev 2500 which came into the country with a GVM of 4536kg.....meaning the driver would need a LR license as a minimum.

However, in Queensland, they were able to de-rate the truck to 4,490kg and have a new compliance plate issued, so that a C license holder can drive it.

In South Australia though (not sure about other states) the licensing authority will not allow this to be done on vehicles being FIRST REGISTERED in this state......and they hate it when they have to approve a vehicle like mine that was complianced interstate.

With regard to your wife driving the rig if it is over the 4500kg GVM, it is quite legal for her to drive it on a C license if "L" plates are fitted and if there is a supervising qualified truck driver (ie: you). She would not be allowed to drive the vehicle unaccompanied and BOTH of you must have a zero alcohol reading etc etc. Also, maximum speed is 100k/h, even in a 110k/h zone.

Cheers,

Bill
AnswerID: 609495

Reply By: Bill & Rose - Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:09

Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:09
It is pretty much the same as any other vehicle to service. I have a local company do the service as the third party warranty requires a receipt. I supply the Cummins recommended oil and filters - these are cheap and available from Cummins truck places. The only tricky bit is greasing the CV joint on the front driveshaft ... I found a You Tube video and showed the mechanic - don't miss this! There are two fuel filters - the one on the rear chassis has a water trap and is not stocked by Cummins - you can get these from SCD - other than this the parts are cheaper than Toyota. I change the oil every 5-7,000km which is well inside the recommended 15,000km which is the figure for vehicles not used for towing. The oil filter is a bit slow to change over but not hard. I keep a spare set of radiator hoses, timing belt, filters etc. in the truck - just in case.
AnswerID: 609516

Our Sponsors