Checking All On Road Weights

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 08, 2017 at 10:58
ThreadID: 135224 Views:9530 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I found this completely portable item on the web that will prove of interest to many Boggers.

https://youtu.be/DYv0SIfqjpk

It shows a very simple device to keep a check on the weights to the road surface of our BT's and tugs, as well as checking the tow ball weight. All of these weights are of interest to the Law Enforcement people, and our safety.
The units come in Yellow (for 1000kg) and Orange (for 1500kg)
It only requires a board before and after the unit for approach and departure of each tyre, and a flat hard surface.
I have ordered an Orange unit, as I plan to also use it to check the weights applied by each tyre of our tug, which is of 6X4 configuration and 4500kg GVM.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BTRACK22 - Saturday, Jul 08, 2017 at 18:50

Saturday, Jul 08, 2017 at 18:50
John

Have been considering purchasing one of these myself. I look forward to your report once yours has arrived and you have given it a go.

Lance
AnswerID: 612426

Reply By: The Hob - Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 08:36

Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 08:36
I bought one a while ago but have no confidence in its accuracy.

I weighed the tow ball and then put a 20l jerry of water on the towball and it did not show the extra 20kgs axactly.

When weighing the axles I have taken readings and then immediately weighed it all again and got a large variation in readings.

According to the gadget my weights are at limits but not over with full fuel and full water tanks. What the actual weights are is in the lap of the Gods. I may be slightly over or slightly under.

I cannot repeat the weighings and get the same reading??????????????

Alan
AnswerID: 612430

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 14:14

Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 14:14
Having just watched a couple of videos of the unit in use, I got the impression it takes a measurement and "locks" it in. As such, if you put the hitch on it (say 250kg shows on the screen) and then grab a 20 litre jerry can and add that on top; you'd have to remove the total weight off the device (by winding the jockey stand down to "zero" the measurement) and then have another attempt.

The video referenced above, showed the bloke saying you have to drive over the gizmo "at walking speed"....no faster or slower. He showed the passengers side being done at about walking speed, then went around the other side and the driver seemed to do that side at snail's pace.

So, I don't know how crucial the speed is, but he did both sides at distinctly different speeds.
FollowupID: 882660

Follow Up By: Laarby - Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 14:42

Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 14:42
Alan I'm totally agree with you, no confidence in this product.
I have had the same experience, not once the same reading, measuring over a few days.
I use it for the truck and the ball weight reading, because I'm critical or over the limit for the truck, the BT is ok.
And now I take the results either way with a big margin, with other words not worth the money spent on.
Cheers, Marinus
FollowupID: 882661

Follow Up By: The Hob - Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 16:04

Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 16:04
Roachie - I did remove the device from the van before putting the jerry on and weighing the towball weight again. I expected the reading to be 20kg greater than before but this was not so.

Due to my suspicions I weighed and reweighed in a sequence of weighings on the same day on the same place on the same van untouched and could never achieve similar readings.

Alan
FollowupID: 882662

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 18:34

Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 18:34
Strewth!!! That's not a very good advertisement for the product then mate...!!! I reckon I'll give that one a big miss. Thanks for your research.

Bill
FollowupID: 882663

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Monday, Jul 10, 2017 at 18:06

Monday, Jul 10, 2017 at 18:06
Perhaps I should clarify why I chose to order the scale that I did.
It is the more compact of the two makes that I found on the internet and suits our available storage options, and the Orange (1500kg) version was chosen to ensure I could also check the axle weights of the Tug which usually weighs around the 4000kg mark and is legal to 4500kg, it is a 6 wheeler and is certified to tow up to 3500kg.
We have difficulty locating a public weigh bridge conveniently near where we live to check our weights before departure on a trip, the only one within cooee is seldom checked for accuracy and has been found to be not suitable for our purpose. They just use it for their own loaded verses empty load checking and charged like wounded scrub bulls for my public check without a certificate anyway.
The video of the ordered unit indicates an acceptable plus/minus variation for our use and if found to be well outside that stated figure will be returned for replacement/rectification/money back.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 882671

Follow Up By: Grumpy - Monday, Jul 10, 2017 at 18:41

Monday, Jul 10, 2017 at 18:41
John, FYI, Transport Dept Weighbridge on Port Road just off Bruce Highway, south of Townsville. One on either side of road with digital readout 24/7 and free.
FollowupID: 882672

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:42

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2017 at 16:42
You little bottler.
What a marvellous find.
I will certainly keep that location in mind.
The availability and price is right too.
Thanks for the heads up Wazza

Cheers
John
John & Sharyn

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882680

Follow Up By: Dingley Deserters - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 17:44

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 17:44
Just wondering to those who found that readings were not consistent, and also adding the 20 k/g to the draw bar.
How far out were the readings?
Geoff.
Dingley Deserters

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Cargo Barrier for 300 LC

FollowupID: 882758

Follow Up By: The Hob - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 19:49

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 19:49

Here some of my weight variations yet nothing had changed between measurements

Alan
FollowupID: 882761

Follow Up By: Dingley Deserters - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 21:22

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 21:22
Thanks. That is interesting.
Dingley Deserters

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Cargo Barrier for 300 LC

FollowupID: 882763

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 15:16

Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 15:16
Hi Alan.

Have you compared your readings with a weighbridge reading ?
If they are out by more than the 3% claimed by the importer, either the unit needs recalibrating or replacing.
Have you contacted the people you bought yours from about the anomaly in your readings.?
I bought mine from SunBuster in Caboolture.
Haven't been able to get to a bridge yet to compare.
Your worst variation still appears to confirm that you are legal, and that is my main concern for us when we are departing from home base.
Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882782

Reply By: Cook & Chauffeur - Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 19:10

Sunday, Jul 09, 2017 at 19:10
G'day
There is also this one from
Intertrade Holdings
TOWSAFE Caravan & Vehicle Weight Control Platform Scales
CODE: MHCWS

Price is around $460

Seems to be easier to use
AnswerID: 612432

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 15:51

Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 15:51
Yes I also saw that product.
I chose the Reik model mainly on the dimensions, from a storage point of view.
Otherwise I would have gone with the Towsafe as it has more sensors.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882783

Our Sponsors