Table Leg

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 17:31
ThreadID: 135242 Views:11246 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our van has a U shaped dining/lounge area. The table is currently mounted on a wineglass style leg and any time someone leans on the table it moves. This makes for an interesting eating expierence with 2 small children!

I have pulled the leg out and tightened all the bolts as much as possible which makes it marginally better for a short period. I saw these style of legs advertised and was wondering if anyone had one and could comment on the stability of the table?

https://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=15580

I have thought about solid mounting the table but really need the ability to turn it to get access into under seat areas.
Thanks
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 19:17

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017 at 19:17
We have the same style, I cut a small section out of where the pipe closes up to get a tighter fit. Also the screws used on our bracing underneath the table were metal screws, not screws for timber.

If that doesn't work for you I'd be inclined to make up a new upright pole with only one section that turns down close the base. Use welded full length angle bracing underneath the table and have it powder coated.
AnswerID: 612471

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Jul 23, 2017 at 14:44

Sunday, Jul 23, 2017 at 14:44
Hello Justin,
I bought two "Screw-type" adjustable legs from Bunnings (700mm). ie when you screw the inner (bottom) tube the leg extends, so you can tighten the leg's grip on the floor. I measured the knee lengths required from all seating positions and mounted the legs to be clear of knees. I mounted them on 12mm ply to emulate the original leg's mounting underneath the table top. Result:- rock solid three legged table that can still be swivelled or removed as per the original leg.
As for access to the underseat area (Presume this is the wheel arch). We only need to lift the seats to access our wine cellar. 17 x 90mm stormwater PVC pipes, each 200mm long to stand your wine bottles in.... no breakages after 200,000km across and around Australia over 15 years.

good luck..........................Rob.
AnswerID: 612675

Our Sponsors