Magnetic fly screen

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 04, 2018 at 18:18
ThreadID: 136053 Views:4019 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G’Day, Has anybody fitted one of those magnetic fly screens to their BT ?
Reason I’m thinking of trying one is to advoid opening & closing the Camec fly screen section of the door all the time. Our door catch is almost had it again and I feel one of those magnetic set ups may help extend the new catches life.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kalmwaters - Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 12:55

Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 12:55
Hi, we had one fitted for a while and it was a pain. Always flapping and you get tangled in it if trying to walk through with both hands full. Ended up tying it back for a while and then just removed it. Buy a spare handle for the door and replace it when it breaks! Regards Ken
AnswerID: 615949

Reply By: Tracks n About - Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 15:37

Sunday, Jan 07, 2018 at 15:37
G’Day Ken, Thanks for your reply. But I’m a little over replacing the handles at about $100 per handle. That’s each, not a set. I’ve been looking at those screens for about $40. I’ve suspected, as you said, that they wouldn’t be easy to walk through.
Thanks again,
Lawrie.
AnswerID: 615950

Follow Up By: The Hob - Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 07:56

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 07:56
I have replaced my handle on the door and it was about $30 from Caravns Plus.
Relative easy job once you get all three of the latches in place
FollowupID: 887150

Reply By: Tracks n About - Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 09:57

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 09:57
G’Day, WOW haven’t they come down ! I got my last one about six months ago from Suncoast Caravan repairs on Sunshine Coast. Just checked their site and there now $45. Also had a look at Caravan Plus. $40. So yes, will probably just replace the handle when needed, usually once a year. Also saw a Camec fitting that fits onto the main door that stops the screen door from latching onto the main door when it’s opened. Although a small towel or something would do the same job. That would cut down the handle use a hell of a lot.
First time I replaced the handle I struggled, but now after having replaced 6 handles over 7 years
I can just about do it with my eyes closed !
AnswerID: 615967

Reply By: BTRACK22 - Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 23:35

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 at 23:35
What happens to the handles? My van is now 7 years old and the handle is functioning fine although now I have said that .......

Lance
AnswerID: 615980

Reply By: Toyman - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2018 at 10:41

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2018 at 10:41
If your problem is the Handles breaking off, then it is an easy fix.
Fill in the hollowed sides with Knead It, so it makes one solid unit.
Cheers
John
PS I have been using the Magnetic Fly Screen for last 10 Yrs, they are great.
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615989

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2018 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2018 at 22:01
Agree with filling the handle with Knead-It.

I also embedded a pop rivet into the mix increasing the handle's rigidity.
FollowupID: 887211

Reply By: Free & Easy - Tuesday, Jan 09, 2018 at 17:36

Tuesday, Jan 09, 2018 at 17:36
We also have been using the Magnetic Fly Screen for a number of years, they are great.
AnswerID: 615994

Reply By: Spydor - Wednesday, Jan 10, 2018 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jan 10, 2018 at 09:42
If you look closely at the new handle moulding. They don't have the "built to break " feature. They are a lot stronger than the old type.
Cheers
Spydor
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616004

Reply By: Graham and Carol W - Wednesday, Jan 10, 2018 at 13:39

Wednesday, Jan 10, 2018 at 13:39
The Camec handle broke on our previous van when we were weeks away from a supplier to replace it, so I fitted a pull handle made from a tie-down strap.

I fitted one to our new Bushtracker recently straight after we took delivery. We now don't need to use the Camec handle to pull the door closed, which should extend the life considerably of the Camec handle.

We've not used a magnetic flyscreen, but have spoken to others who swear by them.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616008

Reply By: Makntraxs - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 22:25

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 22:25
We've replaced our magnetic fly screen three times over the last 5 years, great product wouldn't travel without one.
Bob & Lyn

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616156

Reply By: Tracks n About - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2018 at 13:44

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2018 at 13:44
G'day & once again thanks for all the replies. We're back at the coast so have time to add to my original post. Never seem to have time when travelling. Figure that one out !
Lance asked what happens to the handles. Well the inside one is designed with what I can best describe as two plastic lugs that, when used to open the door, work against the metal piece inside the latch. As the " lugs " wear the door gets harder to open until after they wear enough the lugs break off. First one lasted 6 years from memory, The second one about the same time which means the one on there now is two years old. In reply to Grahams reply, we've never used the door handle to close the door. When we got our BT in 2004 I fitted a small chrome handle about where he's fitted his pull strap. So any wear has only been caused by unlatching the door. This inside handle has never broken as such, just the internal lugs. One time I even "repaired" the handle by rebuilding the lugs with Knead-It. worked for a short time, but the Knead-It wore down faster than the plastic naturally. This second one is still in use, but hasn't had the use the first one had. We just haven't done the same amount of travelling. (unfortunately).
Now the first outside handle lasted about five years when the van was new before it snapped at the base. Yes it was the old style as that was all there was back then. Replaced it with a new one the same, that's all there was. When it started to brake in the same spot after about the same time, I got to and reinforced it before it broke completely. I shaped a nail to fit in the groove and filled with Knead-It. This got me a couple of more years before it broke at the base. Got a new one and did the nail & Knead-It reinforcement before fitting. When it eventually broke about a year ago the new style was out there. That's the one I mentioned that I paid about $100 for.
So this was the reason for my original post about the magnetic fly screens, which I think I'll get before we head off to do the Gary Junction about May.
Happy Travels All,
Lawrie.

AnswerID: 616507

Our Sponsors