Lack of fly screen tension.

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 13:20
ThreadID: 136914 Views:3062 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just replaced my first fly screen with midge screen and despite putting the required number of turns on the tension, it wouldn't wind up. Even before replacement it was very sluggish winding up. Window is about 1200 wide so should be 15 turns. Have increased it beyond that and still not playing ball with us. Have sprayed the tracks and Spring with silicone with little change. Screws securing the frame have only been done up to the lowest tension on the drill.
Any suggestions please?
Dave
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 13:48

Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 13:48
Are you tensioning it the correct direction? Do you feel the spring tension?
AnswerID: 619883

Reply By: knightriders - Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 17:21

Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 17:21
I replaced all my fly screens with the midge screens last year. You will find that the number of turns required for the correct tension might be a bit more than when the standard fly screens were in. Some of the windows were easy but some required a little trial and error to get them to function correctly. When you screw the frame back into the window, be careful not to over tighten the screws, because this can also make it harder for the screens to go up and down
AnswerID: 619886

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 17:40

Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 17:40
Thanks for the responses. All the others seem to be ok. Went back to my first one and gave it a few more turns on the Spring, yes it was in the right direction, and when it went back in it was ok. Didn't do the screws up as much, still firm but did by hand so I could feel the tightness.
Dave
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 619887

Our Sponsors