Trucks as tugs .. and tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 01, 2018 at 21:24
ThreadID: 137514 Views:344 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
Posted this elsewhere with some results but, perhaps, there might be a few here ?

Recently bought an FTS 750 ex NSW and in the process of running it through Vic roadworthy inspections. Unexpectedly, the shop has snagged several tyres.

That's not a major concern (although a very recent NSW roadworthy and a pre-purchase inspection by another inspection shop didn't raise any significant concerns) as I was intending to fit a new set in the next couple of months anyway.

The time bracket was to give me an opportunity to research tyres in a more relaxed manner than I can now.

There are a few threads on American utes but nothing I can find for larger truck tyres.

Question -

Could I ask of folks with larger vehicles,

(a) what tyres you have fitted ?

(b) what has been your experience with that brand/model of tyre ?
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumpy - Saturday, Dec 01, 2018 at 21:29

Saturday, Dec 01, 2018 at 21:29
Firstly, have you tried doing a search on the Forum?
Grumpy Wazza

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 622389

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 07:35

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 07:35
It's probably just my own ineptitude....but I have always found the SEARCH function on this forum and the Exploroz Forum (from whence this forum was created), to be nothing more than a bucket of excretia.

Never enough hours in the day.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895256

Reply By: Grumpy - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 08:38

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 08:38
Not sure what the problem is ? Just simply typing in search area ‘tyres’ results in 391 threads and ‘tyre size’ results in 21 threads, all with associated posts.

Adding a post to one of these relevant threads besides keeping the specific info in one area, also sends messages to those members who have contributed in the past, thereby attracting comment from actual users.

Rather than starting up a completely new thread on same subject!

Just seems to me that it is found to be “to easy” to start a new thread rather than do a search for previous posts etc on same subject?

Just my view on the use of the Forum.
Grumpy Wazza

AnswerID: 622401

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 09:11

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 09:11
Yeah, like I said mate, it's probably just me being too bloody stupid.
Luckily for me, we don't need to pass a license test to be able to own a computer. By the way, is there a particular reason you always (almost?) use a new "reply" rather than add to the "follow-up" on the reply?
Never enough hours in the day.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895257

Reply By: Grumpy - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:47

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:47
Hi Bill, I hear the temperatures down there are a bit cooler than up here.

Actually I thought I was replying to Sal and John not you, my mistake.

I use “Reply” rather than “follow up” because “Reply” shows up in the opening view whereas “follow up” doesn’t, so unless you are following that thread, you have no idea there was a response. Even if following the thread and there are a number of replies, you have to open each one to find the “follow up” and this is tedious.
Grumpy Wazza

AnswerID: 622404

Reply By: Sal and John - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:55

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:55
I ran a number of searches but didn't find anything specific to larger trucks .. plenty of stuff on the smaller tugs, though. If you can see some pertinent threads, please do put a link to them and I will gratefully trawl through them ...

I am not overly interested in real serious off road 4x4 fun .. but am interested in a reasonable cost-benefit mix of sensible old folks off road and black top getting there and back. Capital cost is a consideration in this.

For instance, one poster elsewhere with a serious off road use (if not extreme) runs highway tyres as an overall call on the question and accepts that he might have to be very cautious with mud and similar surfaces .. but, overall, the cost benefits outweigh the small probability of getting caught out badly.

I'm just looking for information from user folks rather than OEM waffle .. I don't have any background with a 13T truck, you see.
AnswerID: 622405

Our Sponsors