Trucks as tugs .. and tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 01, 2018 at 21:24
ThreadID: 137514 Views:3536 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Posted this elsewhere with some results but, perhaps, there might be a few here ?

Recently bought an FTS 750 ex NSW and in the process of running it through Vic roadworthy inspections. Unexpectedly, the shop has snagged several tyres.

That's not a major concern (although a very recent NSW roadworthy and a pre-purchase inspection by another inspection shop didn't raise any significant concerns) as I was intending to fit a new set in the next couple of months anyway.

The time bracket was to give me an opportunity to research tyres in a more relaxed manner than I can now.

There are a few threads on American utes but nothing I can find for larger truck tyres.

Question -

Could I ask of folks with larger vehicles,

(a) what tyres you have fitted ?

(b) what has been your experience with that brand/model of tyre ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumpy - Saturday, Dec 01, 2018 at 21:29

Saturday, Dec 01, 2018 at 21:29
Firstly, have you tried doing a search on the Forum?
AnswerID: 622389

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 07:35

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 07:35
It's probably just my own ineptitude....but I have always found the SEARCH function on this forum and the Exploroz Forum (from whence this forum was created), to be nothing more than a bucket of excretia.

FollowupID: 895256

Reply By: Grumpy - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 08:38

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 08:38
Not sure what the problem is ? Just simply typing in search area ‘tyres’ results in 391 threads and ‘tyre size’ results in 21 threads, all with associated posts.

Adding a post to one of these relevant threads besides keeping the specific info in one area, also sends messages to those members who have contributed in the past, thereby attracting comment from actual users.

Rather than starting up a completely new thread on same subject!

Just seems to me that it is found to be “to easy” to start a new thread rather than do a search for previous posts etc on same subject?

Just my view on the use of the Forum.
AnswerID: 622401

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 09:11

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 09:11
Yeah, like I said mate, it's probably just me being too bloody stupid.
Luckily for me, we don't need to pass a license test to be able to own a computer. By the way, is there a particular reason you always (almost?) use a new "reply" rather than add to the "follow-up" on the reply?
FollowupID: 895257

Reply By: Grumpy - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:47

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:47
Hi Bill, I hear the temperatures down there are a bit cooler than up here.

Actually I thought I was replying to Sal and John not you, my mistake.

I use “Reply” rather than “follow up” because “Reply” shows up in the opening view whereas “follow up” doesn’t, so unless you are following that thread, you have no idea there was a response. Even if following the thread and there are a number of replies, you have to open each one to find the “follow up” and this is tedious.
AnswerID: 622404

Reply By: Sal and John - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:55

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:55
I ran a number of searches but didn't find anything specific to larger trucks .. plenty of stuff on the smaller tugs, though. If you can see some pertinent threads, please do put a link to them and I will gratefully trawl through them ...

I am not overly interested in real serious off road 4x4 fun .. but am interested in a reasonable cost-benefit mix of sensible old folks off road and black top getting there and back. Capital cost is a consideration in this.

For instance, one poster elsewhere with a serious off road use (if not extreme) runs highway tyres as an overall call on the question and accepts that he might have to be very cautious with mud and similar surfaces .. but, overall, the cost benefits outweigh the small probability of getting caught out badly.

I'm just looking for information from user folks rather than OEM waffle .. I don't have any background with a 13T truck, you see.
AnswerID: 622405

Reply By: imanomad2 - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 18:25

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 18:25
Hello Sal and John, my apologies for a late reply, but hopefully something in the following information will be of assistance to you. Brian here (of Margot and Brian) and we run the 2012 Isuzu FTS800 as our tug from new with an August 2012 built 21ft. The Tug came standard with 10R22.5 14ply Michelin’s XZY’s and is fitted with 2 spares to assist with the rotation process. These give a road speed of about - 7% of the indicated speedo. I believe that the current model of this truck is now fitted with 11R22.5’s which would possibly reduce the speedo error. This brand/model of tyre in 7.50R16 was fitted to our 1995 Defender and with 2 spares on board, we wore out 3 sets (about 280k) before I started to think about looking at a different tyre. Considering that they are sort of a road biased tread pattern we were more than impressed with their performance on bitumen, gravely roads (Plenty H’way 6 crossings) sand (the Ann Bendel west bound and the Gun Barrel from Wiluna to Warburton)and then into Yalara on the GCRoad, and following a storm through Lakefield NP across those greasy clay plains. We have found that the tyres need to be rotated on a regular interval to manage the progressive wear patterns and they need to be run at correct/appropriate pressures to give the greatest service life. And of course keep the vehicle’s steering alignment in good order. Cheers Brian.
AnswerID: 623104

Reply By: Sal and John - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 21:07

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 21:07
Thanks for that, Brian.

You may recall we email corresponded some time ago when I first started the long process of looking at trucks.

The 750 appears to have non-standard tyres and I am tossing up whether to bite the bullet, scrap the rims and go to 11R22.5. The process is tedious as the workshop is dragging the chain to finish some work on the truck before I can get it registered.

Like you, I see around a 5-6% under-read calibration error. More of a concern, compared to the 800, is the dreadfully low gearing in the 7sp gearbox although it probably would perform just fine climbing mountains. 7th is the only OD and it comes in around 60 kph or so. Top of the green is around 85 so the taller tyre profile would see that improve probably 5 kph or so.

Decisions .. decisions.

Overall, however, I think we will be more than pleased with the truck. Have put in two better ISRI seats and they are quite nice. Truck drives well and, apart from getting used to the football field turning circle, it is quite an easy vehicle to motor about in.

Like you, we will be putting the XTrail on the tray to give us a more convenient run around vehicle if we are staying put for any length of time.
AnswerID: 623108

Reply By: Laarby - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:35

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:35
Hi John,
I have an Effie and found out that the average tyre shop has no experience and have some not even a clue what to recommend, because they try to sell on price and not needs and only are interested in the sale. I would suggest to go and see a truck service company they may suggest a particular tyre or even refer a tyre place who has the knowledge. The forums have all there own experience good or bad, but this is very personal and dependable on a lot of variables in rigs and tows.
My reasonable good experience was with Toyo, a bit of bouncing around but still 60000km on a 4.2 ton tow, 80% towing on a 65/35% black top/off-road. A disaster is the Coopers for me, one of the tyres is so unbalanced manufactured that it could not even be balanced proper without vibrations on the front (more than 0.6 kg was added without good results) good enough for the rear wheels and I try to get 35000 Km out, having said this the performance of the tyre is not bad at all, but I don’t want to take the risk that it happen again. I will try Nitto for the next set as recommended by a smaller tyre shop, who service trucks too. The owner has an Effie himself and hopefully got it right.

Cheers,
Marinus
AnswerID: 623130

Reply By: Sal and John - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 20:10

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 20:10
Thanks for that, Marinus.

I have liaised with off-road truck users and the variation in thoughts is considerable. One of the problems is that the 750 is intended for short range off road work and, typically, is (was) seen in the employ of site work and emergency services (CFA, RFS and the like).

At this stage, I am looking to go with the taller tyre and intend to start off using a lower-mid cost road tyre with a mild tread pattern. I will get a set of chains to provide some get-out-jail capability if I end up in real mud (quite by accident, only).

What I would have preferred would be an all steel radial to give me some improved sidewall capability re staking but have had no joy there.

Guess we will see how the steel belts perform. Certainly, one multi-truck user with the same sort of tyres has had very good mileage and reliability so it will be interesting to see how things transpire for us.

One thing is for sure .. eight wheels comes out at a few dollars hit in the wallet. The higher cost wish list would have been great .. but the hip pocket dictates that some level of reality needs to come into play.
AnswerID: 623143

Our Sponsors