Don't buy a Bushtracker

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:52
ThreadID: 122372 Views:5718 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
DON'T buy a Bushtracker caravan if you don't want fellow campers wandering around your van and admiring it!
Don't buy a BT if you don't like showing people through your van!
Don't buy a BT if you don't like people staring as you drive past!
BUT, if none of the above bothers you, and why should it, then buying a BT is certainly worth considering.

We picked up our new Bushtracker Caravan on Dec. 8th and to say the van BT built for us exceeded our expectations is a gross understatement. With my building and design background, I've developed a keen eye for detail and I don't believe in perfection, but the finish on our van came close to perfection as humanly possible. The van is BRILLIANT-BRILLIANT-BRILLIANT.

The delivery day started out bad. We were five minutes out from the factory when a passing truck lost something of its back tray and it smashed into the side of my car. But, from then on, the day just got better and better.

Paul, from BT was there to greet us and proceeded to show and tell us about all the workings of our van. He was thoroughly professional, friendly, and being a fellow surfer, his layback approach meant for an enjoyable easy day.

As I was planning on moving on that night, I was determined to check out every working component in our van before I drove away. So there wouldn't be any excuses, I brought up a full gas bottle to run the gas appliances, a hose to fill the water tanks to check the pumps, a power lead to get power to the air conditioner and a bottle of diesel fuel to run the Webasto heater.

Well, I need not have bothered. BT had already filled my 2 gas bottles, every tank had water in them, they had diesel in the Webasto tank, and the air conditioning was blasting away as we entered the van in the heatwave conditions that day.

While all of this was happening, BT fitted my 750lb H.R. WDH. for free without me even asking. I bought it from Caboolture Caravans for $530.00 which was over $100.00 cheaper than another local quote.

Andrew from Sound In Motion showed us the gear he installed and then we hooked up the van. Paul even did a few laps around the block with me to make sure the van was balanced and the brakes were adjusted correctly. After one final nice surprise from BT, we said our goodbyes and we were on our way to get our annexe walls fitted in Brisbane the next day.

Our van is 18ft, queen width island bed, cafe dining, larger ensuite, rear sink and four solar panels. It towed well and from Brisbane to Kempsey my Nissan Patrol 3.0L t/d manual returned fuel consumption figures of 19.2L/100 kms, or 5.2 kms/L, or about 14.7 mpg. Take your pick!!! Cruising speed was 95kph.

A couple of funny things happened before and after delivery. Prior to delivery, I had a dream that BT had fitted shopping trolley wheels to our van. Aren't dreams weird! After delivery, on our way home at a rest stop, we were having breakfast when there was a crashing sound on the van. I jumped outside expecting to see someone throwing rocks of clay at my van, but there was no one there, no overhanging trees, so, I wrongly assumed a solar panel had exploded only to find a can of coke had exploded in the freezer.

Well, nothing more needs to be said, so we're going, going, gone.

Al and Robyn

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:58

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:58
Howdy Al & Robyn,
Glad you enjoy your new aquisition. Have many happy miles of travel and hours of living in it.
We picked ours up 16th Nov and feel similarly about ours.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 567598

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 14:47

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 14:47
Al & Robyn,

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations. May your roads be roughly smooth and your tracks windingly straight. The kind of experience you had on pickup day and for what will be the days to follow when you deal with Bushtracker and the wonderful people there is just one reason why they are the best at what they do and why you will be proud to be Bushtracker owners.

Welcome to the club.

Angie and Ivan
(who miss their BT back at home 'cause they are living in London at the moment)
AnswerID: 567599

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 14:51

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 14:51
p.s. don't forget to take some photos and put them in the album 'cause Angie luuuuurves photos.

Angie :)
AnswerID: 567600

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:19

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:19
Congratulations, great to welcome a happy new owner o the goup;
But;
That dream, sounds prophetic.

"I need some new bed linen to match the curtains"
"We need a new barbeque for the van"
"An extra length of drain hose would be handy"
"What about one of those little washing machines darling?"
"Don't forget to get a broom and bucket when you'r at the store honey"
etc, etc, etc.

So, the BT becomes a big shopping trolley.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567601

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 23:40

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 23:40
Imagine the queue to see them when there were two stopped in a rest area! We pulled into a rest stop near Balladonia and there was another 18' 1998 Bushtracker! Next thing a whole group of caravanners pulled in and looked over our caravans.

We have had people drive for 100s of kms to come and see our BT. Always pleased to show off.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 567602

Reply By: Rockgoc - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 01:51

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 01:51
And congrats to you from us too! After nearly 3 years, we are STILL in love with our "Doris" . We have made some great aquaintances through simply owning a BT and being in the same place as the people interested in them. Same as Angie, we recommend you put some pics in the album soon to show off your interior, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to know what others have incorporated into theirs. There's a wealth of information out there just waiting to be passed on!
Happy travelling......
Jan O & Easy ensconced in Kalgoolie until............
AnswerID: 567603

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:19

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:19
DORIS!!!!!
at least we had the decency to call ours BERT lol
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 845241

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 02:19

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 02:19
I love the "Shock Value" of the way the title looks on your Posting!!!!
DON'T BUY A BUSHTRACKER.....

Everyone that knocks us because they have connections to the so called Opposition, or cannot afford a Bushtracker, will definitely open this Posting!!! Only to find another happy Bushtracker Owner...Bugger! Ha! Great addition to the Public Forum.. I would not be surprised if this one has a 500-600 or more Viewings! Great!

And, as the Lone Ranger at Bushtracker, I have to say that this is what keeps me going. In truth, this kind of happiness quotient from our Clients, is our true reward; and why we will keep on keeping on, doing the best job we can.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing report.
Best Regards for the Holiday Season, and let us not forget what it is really all about!!!
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567604

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:31

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:31
Schommys
Welcome to the joys of being a BT owner. There is one other plus and that the BT back-up and service - its as good as the vans they build.

Happy travels

John and Jean
AnswerID: 567605

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:02

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 22:02
Imagine the looks when there were six of us BTers travelling across the Gulf of Carpentaria earlier this year. And we also had a DIFFERENT lot of six at the Big4 in Alice for a few days. They're everywhere!
Jan
AnswerID: 567606

Reply By: Cruisin' Twosome - Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 07:47

Friday, Dec 23, 2005 at 07:47
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD, WE HAVE HAD OUR 18' FOR 14 MONTHS NOW AND WE KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT ALL THE STARES AND COMMENTS SOME PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO MAKE IT OBVIOUSE BY THEY HAPPEN TO WALK BY ABOUT 3 TIMES. SO WE THEN GO OUT AND INVITED IN ONLY TO BE GREETED WITH "THIS IS THE CREAM OF THE VANS" WE REPLY "THANK YOU, WE THINK SO"

YES HAVING BEEN A SALES PERSON MYSELF I AM A GREAT BELIEVER THAT THE AFTER SERVICE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE ACTUALLY SALE. AS YOU STATED THAT THIS IS DEFINETLY THE CASE AT BT. PAUL IS WONDERFUL ALWAYS HAPPY TO SEE YOU, HE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE AND NOTHING IS TOO MUCH FOR HIM. I BELIEVE THAT HE DESERVES AN AWARD AND A RISE STEVE,

WELL WELCOM TO THE CLUB AND LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AND YOUR VAN AT COPETON RALLY IN SEPT. ENJOY YOUR TRAVELS AND AS THEY SAY "WHEN YOU ARE ON A GOOD THING STICK TO IT.

HAPPY CRUISING.
STELLA & JACK
"CRUISIN' TWOSOME
Stella & Jack Voolstra

AnswerID: 567607

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Dec 26, 2005 at 20:57

Monday, Dec 26, 2005 at 20:57
Thank you,
I hired him off the street. And as a matter of fact he is well taken care of. But I must say, there are five in the office, all of the same calibre. If they were not, they would be working somewhere else. Paul, Peter, Matthew, Tracy, Steve Bemrose, and I, all give the same level of service as that is the core of our business. And it is working well.

And of course it makes good business sense to take good care of our Customers. We have no sales staff, it is our Customers that kindly sell our vans for us. That keeps the demand high and the second hand demand high. Yes we build the finest van in Australia and some say the world, but also we do try and fairly take the best care of our Customers, as looking after their best interests in the past ten years now, has proven to be our best interests as well.

Regards from the Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845242

Reply By: schommys - Sunday, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:07

Sunday, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:07
Thanks to everyone for their responses and positive comments. And to turist Bob, I think your analysis of my dream is very clever. Hope to see you all on the road some day.

We're going, going, gone.

Al and Robyn
AnswerID: 567608

Our Sponsors