caravan jack

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:43
ThreadID: 122457 Views:4718 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Being Bushtracker virgins we need a bit of advice re jacks. We have talked to a few different van owners and had varying opinions on the type of jack to get. What we want to avoid above all else is a stressful situation changing tyres in woop woop! Any advice on the best jack to take would be appreciated.
Other off road vans seem to have a designated jack point. Where is the best jack point to use on the Bushtracker?
Regards,
David and Maureen.
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:42

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:42
As we all have a 4WD to tow the Bushtracker, most of the common 4WD tow vehicles have a good jack supplied for the 4WD and they are of a suitable size to use on the Bushtracker as well. You should have a jack that has a capacity of at least 1 tonne, and the bottle type jacks work well.

The best place to jack from is the end of the spring that is closest to the wheel that you want to lift. Because the Bushtracker has a load sharing suspension this is really the only place to jack from.

The other brands of caravans that have a jacking point, DO NOT have this type of load sharing suspension. If you where to try and jack the van up by the chassis rail then you would find that you would have to jack the whole side of the van up to a dangerous height to get the wheel off the ground as both wheels would have to come up due to the load sharing.

MAKE SURE THAT THE WHEEL BRACE THAT YOU HAVE FOR THE VEHICLE ALSO FITS THE NUTS ON THE BUSHTRACKER.
With our F250 and our previous Landcruiser the vehicle's wheel braces did not match that of the van, so we had a socket welded to the end of one of those 4 ended wheel braces and that does the job nicely.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 567877

Follow Up By: Kilcoy Yowies - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 07:47

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 07:47
Thanks for your help Brian. We have tried out the F250 jack and it seems to work fine.
Gotta get it all right before we head off in March. We are booked into Smokey Bay, SA caravan park for 10 days fishing and crabbing from 21st Feb, then 5 days at Streaky Bay then we will probably head across the Nullabor early April. We planned on going through the Centre then but decided it will be too hot at that time of the year. Can't wait! Cheers, Maureen and David

FollowupID: 845389

Follow Up By: Kilcoy Yowies - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 07:50

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 07:50
oops meant to say 21st March for Smokey Bay!

FollowupID: 845390

Our Sponsors