good camp spot?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:53
ThreadID: 123384 Views:5319 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
When we leave Mallacoota we intend heading towards the Great Ocean Road area and SA.
We are meeting up with friends from Melbourne for a couple of days and wondered if someone could recommend a nice camp spot preferrably near some water any where within a couple of hours of Melbourne. I am sure there are lots of good spots but it's always great to have somewhere recommended.
Someone mentioned Walhalla as a great spot but don't know anything about it.
Our friends will be in a tent so need some amenities and we don't want to stay in a caravan park . Thanks in anticipation, Cheers, Maureen and David
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CD & JW - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2007 at 08:28

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2007 at 08:28
see www.visitwalhalla.com/

We visited Walhalla about 6 years ago (just after electricity was connected to the valley - gas lamps were still in place). We camped at a small camp area at the farthest end of the valley, pretty basic but clean. There was water and toilets, but can't remember showers. It is a unique narrow little valley. Well worth a visit, but not sure if it is what you are looking for on this trip, from your suggested requirements. We had family connections to the valley, hence our visit. When my Dad-in-law played district cricket there if you hit a six you had to pay for the ball - if you see the cricket ground you will know why.
JW
AnswerID: 570784

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Thursday, Mar 08, 2007 at 05:22

Thursday, Mar 08, 2007 at 05:22
Walhalla is of course on the Mallacoota side of Melbourne.
FollowupID: 847322

Reply By: Terra - Thursday, Mar 08, 2007 at 04:43

Thursday, Mar 08, 2007 at 04:43
Evening Maureen & David,
I hope this helps Vivian and I spent a lovely long weekend just gone down at Joanna Beach about 30 odd Kms' past Apollo Bay on the Great Ocean Road. Joanna Beach is about 3 hours from Melbourne and is a great drive just getting there.
It's a great bush camping area with plenty of green grass well maintained by Vic Parks, pit toilets in loc and only 300 meters approx from a beautiful beach and no fees involved. If you are into bush walking, sight seeing etc there are some great walks including sections of the Great Ocean walking trail.
Fishing wise l only managed to catch a few small salmon however a chap did land a couple of gummy sharks after dark from the beach.
As stated bush camping BYO every thing and enjoy a great area. Joanna Beach is approx 5 Km drive-in on a sealed road most of the way with a small section of gravel, no problems with towing a van in. The only negetive is the usual rubbish that is left behind by uncaring slugs who are to lazy to take their rubbish with them.
Anyway hope this helps with your travels and enjoy a beautiful area,
regards Terry & Vivian
AnswerID: 570785

Follow Up By: Kilcoy Yowies - Thursday, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:47

Thursday, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:47
Thanks for replying Terry and Vivian and CD and JW. Joanna Beach sounds just the shot!
Walhalla sounds interesting too and certainly worth a visit thanks and look forward to seeing that cemetery and cricket field.
The beach area seems just the sort of place we are after for an enjoyable couple of days and we will try and get more info from Vic parks.
Cheers, Maureen and David
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

FollowupID: 847323

Reply By: barbee - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2007 at 06:26

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2007 at 06:26
Just a quick question. My husband and i were up at Mallacoota today and saw all your vans at the park, is this a yearly camp get together or was there another reason?
AnswerID: 570786

Follow Up By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2007 at 07:01

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2007 at 07:01
barbee,

The 23 vans at Mallacoota (of which we are one) are classed as a mini rally. The main rally is usually held around September. The 2007 one is to be held at Copeton Dam near Inverell NSW. Top spot.

Angie
FollowupID: 847324

Reply By: barbee - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:07

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:07
Thankyou for your quick reply, We have a 17.6 foot Trakmaster, and just returning home from a long weekend at Moama where we had 80 vans turn up, we came home along the Murray staying at Jindervick, tom Groggan,Etc. some loverly parts of australia. we eventually intend to go up towards the Kimberlys,. Your vans are very impressive.
hope to look into one one day,
Thankyou
Barbee
AnswerID: 570787

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 19:42

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 19:42
We will have to get together with the 2 clubs and have a major gathering of off road vans.

We are good friends of Gary & Liz Pretty who have a Trakmaster and will be at their home on Sunday.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 847325

Reply By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 03:01

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 03:01
HI GUYS
perhaps you guys could add these to the camp site list !!!!!!!!!!! tanks (or we blow you up )
Stephen & Deborah

AnswerID: 570788

Our Sponsors